Registering RHD vehicles in Cali

I'm trying to decide if I should build my GT40 RHD or LHD. Can anyone tell me if California (or any other US state for that matter) would object to registering a RHD car? In looking through the DMV web site I haven't found any mention so far.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark, Build a LHD GT-40 then you won't have to drive on the left side of the road to get your thrills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Joseph

I have a RHD car and its registered in California, as well, every postal carrier vehicle is RHD (I guess they are exempt), the point is RHD is not an issue, hope that helps.

Mark-

You can register a RHD car in CA without any difficulty. However, it is more difficult to drive with such a setup. This is especially true when you try to make a left hand turn and you can't see around the car making a left the other way. Even with these potential obstacbles, I'm building mine with RHD and RHS.

Cheers
Bill D

Bill,

I know all about the difficulties of RHD from the RH side of the road. I go over to the UK periodically and invariably at some point wind up on the right (make that WRONG) side of the road. It usually happens when making a RH turn out of a parking area, filling station, etc. There is always that that wonderful moment when you ask your self "why is that idiot driving on the wrong side of the road?" and then realize who the idiot really is!

BTW - talked to Fran today. You must be counting the days until your car ships!

Mark

Mark, get the full experience and drive it on the right...it's a GT40! It really wows the crowds and when I get asked "if it's weird" I tell them it seriously came very natural, you're only 8 inches from "over there" anyway. The thing that is still weird is sitting that low, but that is again part of the feel of having one.

Mark-

The days are going down, but they seem to be going slower. Only six more weeks. I guess I better start making room in the garage.

As for registering a RHD car in CA, it is entirely legal, I spent the better part of last night going through the CA DMV site. They only requirements are seatbelts, a windshield, lights, and wipers if the car came so equipped. I have a friend who had a GTD with RHD. It's registered here in CA. He hated it and finally sold it.

Cheers
Bill D

Ron Earp

Admin
RHD, the only way for a 40 to be. I've driven both, it is no big deal at all, the difference is not much. One does have to have some "think" time to switch from RHD to LHD when you are track driving, but other than that no issues.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend who had a GTD with RHD. It's registered here in CA. He hated it and finally sold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

what did he hate? Was it the build, the 40 or the RHD?

Mark

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

My RHD Jaguar owning friend told me there are only 2 major problems:

1. Tollbooths (Not an issue with I-PASS etc.)
2. Overtaking large vehicles on a two lane road. (Can't peek without exposing more than half the car to oncoming traffic).

I had my wife drive me around as a passenger to kind of simulate this and I don't think it will be a problem.

My RF was ordered as RHD/RHS

Regards,

Al

[ QUOTE ]
I had my wife drive me around as a passenger to kind of simulate this and I don't think it will be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did she also simulate the speed of a GT40? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually, that sounds like a good way to try it out.

And yes, toll boths are an annoyance.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Overtaking large vehicles on a two lane road. (Can't peek without exposing more than half the car to oncoming traffic).

[/ QUOTE ]

In a 40 that isnt a problem, you just have to get used to looking under the trucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mark-

He hated the RHD. He said he could never get used to it. He ended up selling the GTD and using the money to buy an older Winston Cup Car.

FWIW My GTD is LHD, I now consider this to be a mistake, but I'm so far into it, there's no turning back. Should have been RHD no question. Now for the shift, should be sill mount in either case. But that's just my opinion.

Brian

Back