Replace alloy uprights

Neil

Supporter
Joacim, I use rear Porsche 996 aluminum uprights but these are designed for a 5-link suspension so it may force you to do a major re-work of your existing suspension.

Attachments

• Porsche 996 LR Upright 2.jpg
    Porsche 996 LR Upright 2.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 374
  • Porsche 996 LR Upright 3.jpg
    Porsche 996 LR Upright 3.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 403
If I remember correctly there are two sizes of strut mountings on the Granada Mk3 type uprights. The alloy mushrooms I have (see pic) are the smaller size and are 45.4mm diameter. I think the larger size used on the Sierra and Granada Cosworth are more like 50mm. I seem to remember that the sizes on the 2wd and 4wd Sierra Cosworth use the two different diameters.
Cheers
Mike
Did you have these items made or were they an off the shelf part from someone like tally design?

Mike Pass

Supporter
If I remember correctly I got them from Mick Sollis at SGT. I did have a set of the larger ones but sold them a long time ago. The ones I have are 45.4 external diameter. They are available if you want them. They can be made by anyone competent with lathe but you will need to buy a suitable tapered reamer to cut the top taper to match the pin on the suspension swivel joint. I will try to find a pic of the Granada MK3 uprights on a GT40.
Cheers
Mike

Mike Pass

Supporter
If you want the Granada/Scorpio MK3 uprights put Granada Scorpio Mk3 breaking into Ebay UK. A couple on there at the moment.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Joacim, I use rear Porsche 996 aluminum uprights but these are designed for a 5-link suspension so it may force you to do a major re-work of your existing suspension.

Neil, any photos about of your install. love a good sticky at some suspension pics

cheers
Ryan

Neil

Supporter
Ryan,

Here are a few pictures that may explain my Porsche 996 5-link suspension setup. These photos were taken during construction. One thing that may be confusing- my rear brake rotors and calipers are from a Porsche 928 S4 front. These are good sized brakes and they fit on the 996 rear-who would have guessed that?

Attachments

• Porsche 996 LR Upright 1.jpg
    Porsche 996 LR Upright 1.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Porsche 996 LR Upright 2.jpg
    Porsche 996 LR Upright 2.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Porsche 996 LR Upright 3.jpg
    Porsche 996 LR Upright 3.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Porsche 996 w 928 S4.jpg
    Porsche 996 w 928 S4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Rear Anti-Roll Bar 1.jpg
    Rear Anti-Roll Bar 1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 207
  • New 5-link Rear View 1.jpg
    New 5-link Rear View 1.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 205
  • New 5-link Right Rear.jpg
    New 5-link Right Rear.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 216
  • New 5-link Left Rear 1.jpg
    New 5-link Left Rear 1.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 221

Neil

Supporter
^ how did you figure out the chassis pick up points?
I used a computer suspension program to correct the original Porsche 996 geometry. I found that it had some bump steer and I wanted to eliminate that. I suspect that Porsche used non-optimum pick-up points to account for deflection in their rubber bushings.

that's a nice set-up. I like the fact that the upright is sprung, rather than the suspension links. Would be neat to do the same on the front, and massage the upright pick-up point to provide some jacking when uprights are turned, the way they do it on F1 cars.

Back