Restarting my SLC project in West Texas

Frustrating day with the Graziano. I talked two of my car buddies who are super experienced into helping me mount the tranny. I was utterly unprepared. For one thing I did not grind enough material and the shaft was hitting the oil pan, finally got that fixed, it was an absolute PIA with the flywheel in place and the engine and mounting plate in place as well . Then I found out I did not have the alignment dowels, evidently did not come with the kit. The throwout bearing also did not come with the bolts needed, just the O rings.
The alignment tool listed in the wiki T10097 is WRONG!! I wish someone would fix that , way larger diameter than the pilot bearing .
I did accomplish grinding the oil pain and mounting the tranny without the clutch , so at least I know it fits. Now I need to order the 2 dowels and find the right alignment tool and hopefully get them to help me again next weekend. They did like the quesadillas my wife made though!!! Finished on a good note

Attachments

I am trying to see if Frank still has the clutch alignment tool, do you all know if there such a thing available I believe the pilot bearing ID is 15mm

do you guys know which is the right Audi dowel part number to mount the Graziano V8 onto the mounting plate
some posts have 086-301-153-A and others have 086-351-153-A.

Joel K

Supporter
do you guys know which is the right Audi dowel part number to mount the Graziano V8 onto the mounting plate
some posts have 086-301-153-A and others have 086-351-153-A.
Hector,

I purchased these from Jim Ellis Audi,
086301153A. I could not locate the other part number.

I will say they are a tad loose in the adapter plate. I would have thought they would be more snug to align it exactly.

As far as the clutch alignment tool I’ve seen confusion with regard to which tool to buy. If someone doesn’t respond I can ping my friend Stephan. He already installed his LS7 and Graz so he would know.

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
trying to figure out what to do with the center console. The gated shifter set up is way offset to the passenger side. I do like the RCR center console, it curves nicely and fits into the tub very well , I will just have to make it wider and I think I will have to move the passenger seat as well. I think I am going to extend the dash all the way to the center console and mount all the controls there, as in this set up
Hector, I think if you wanted to you could center the RCR shifter mount bracket by bending back or cutting off the tab aligning the bracket on the drivers side and attaching it any number of ways. That being said, I think moving it over to the right makes it more comfortable for the driver. My guess is that bracket may have been designed for racing for cars without having a center console in place.

I am leaning toward moving the passenger seat over a bit, splitting the console down the center and widening it.

yes indeed, I don't have much room to work with on the driver side, so no choice there, as you know already had to cut the cage flange in order for the seat to fit, much less elegant solution than your fancy seat bracket LOL, I am truly a grinder!! so pending passenger seat fit , i think I will enlarge the center console to the side to cover the gated shifter frame and go form there ,nothing is straight forward on this project, but I am used to it now. rolling with the flow one problem at a time .

So I found out the Audi warehouse is in jacksonville FL. So i ordered the transmission dowels form the Jacksonville Audi, they have a nice on line parts ordering interface, hopefully I will get them soon. I also got a 1 1/16 metal rod , a friend of mine has a lathe and will make me a custom clutch alignment tool , the main clutch ID is just over 1 inch, and the pilot bearing is about 600 thousands. I also ordered 40mm bolts , a bit longer than the ones that came with the kit. Hopefully I will get everything soon and finally mount the Graziano .
In the meantime continue with the center console and figure out where all the switches will go , connect everything and fire this baby up !!!

Mark B.

Supporter
Hey Hector, when I installed mine I couldn't find a useful alignment tool, but you can actually access the clutch bolts through the starter mount hole in the transaxle. So I just loosely put the clutch bolts in, then used the input shaft as my alignment tool, then started snugging the bolts down through the starter hole, rotating the engine to get to them all. I pulled the transaxle back out to do the final clutch bolt torque, but that probably wasn't necessary. It was a bit of a hack, but I was desperate :)

WOW!! strong work, got it done, that's what is all about. I had a little time waiting for parts and making the tool should not a big deal at all , but thanks for the tip, just on case.

Well after much thought and encouragement I will tackle the drop gear project at home, thank you Frank Clark for the guidance and thank you Cam for offering to sell me his drop gear set .
Also thank you to Ken for posting this video , it helps me get oriented and assessing the magnitude of the project . I will try to document the best I can , I guess I can always bail out , right?
I am on my 5th iteration of the center console, not quite there yet but getting close .

Joel K

Supporter
Hector,

Dusty did a nice job documenting this process starting on post#40 in his build thread.

Hector,

Dusty did a nice job documenting this process starting on post#40 in his build thread.

yes i sent him a message thanking him for his post, helps a lot to have as much detail as possible ,