RF40 and Quafe 6-speed transmission

Thank you everyone for the responses. I had no idea that my question would generate as much as it has. I am glad to see that so many people were interested in the transmission. It does appear to be the solution to the transmission issue that I've seen discussed.

I have a friend in the UK who rally's and he uses Quaife on two of his cars. He is very knowledgable on the inner workings of the Quaifes and has said they are very bullet proof.

Based on the "customization" level that Quaife offeres, it appears that Quaife would/could make a streetable version available. I will try to talk to them personally and get some information to post.

I am in the planning stages now for my car. I plan on going the Quaife route to support the engine's output. I have blown too many transmissions in the past because I've been at the upper limits of their operating range.

I would love to get a group purchase going for the Quaife, but I am building a new house and a hanger now. I have allocated floor space in the hanger for a 4 car shop and the other half is for the other "toy".

Thank you Robert, when I am at the stage to place my order I would very much like to have the frame setup for the Quaife.

My ID is the "N" number on my aircraft. I own a '56 V35G Beechcraft Bonanza. Every once and a while you run across a deal that you can't believe, N437D was one of those deals. It has been highly upgraded too. From a fully coupled auto-pilot and IFR rated instrument package, to the 300hp fuel-injected engine, and A/C. She is a joy to fly and I don't have to worry about speeding tickets for going 200mph.

Thanks,
Layton

Thank you everyone for the responses. I had no idea that my question would generate as much as it has. I am glad to see that so many people were interested in the transmission. It does appear to be the solution to the transmission issue that I've seen discussed.

I have a friend in the UK who rally's and he uses Quaife on two of his cars. He is very knowledgable on the inner workings of the Quaifes and has said they are very bullet proof.

Based on the "customization" level that Quaife offeres, it appears that Quaife would/could make a streetable version available. I will try to talk to them personally and get some information to post.

I am in the planning stages now for my car. I plan on going the Quaife route to support the engine's output. I have blown too many transmissions in the past because I've been at the upper limits of their operating range.

I would love to get a group purchase going for the Quaife, but I am building a new house and a hanger now. I have allocated floor space in the hanger for a 4 car shop and the other half is for the other "toy".

Thank you Robert, when I am at the stage to place my order I would very much like to have the frame setup for the Quaife.

My ID is the "N" number on my aircraft. I own a '56 V35G Beechcraft Bonanza. Every once and a while you run across a deal that you can't believe, N437D was one of those deals. It has been highly upgraded too. From a fully coupled auto-pilot and IFR rated instrument package, to the 300hp fuel-injected engine, and A/C. She is a joy to fly and I don't have to worry about speeding tickets for going 200mph.

Thanks,
Layton

G

OK, I'm going to ask the question: N437D sure seems to be a "N" number from an aircraft, so tell us about it? -- Lynn (formerly N7174V - Mooney M20C)

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Hello, Jim and others...

ZF synchroma 5 DS-25
ZF synchroma 5 DS-25-1
ZF synchroma 5 DS-25-2
ZF synchroma 5 DS-25-2/M1

All share the basic design.
Depends on were it is mounted if the gear linkage goes on the right or on the left.
All GT40 MkI and III´s got the basic model.
Unless in a very few cases the owner chose otherwise and such.
Heweland was in one car at one time etc...
But if you ordered it according to what was in the offering, you got the ZF synchroma 5 DS-25.
Latest works cars recieved the -1.

It´s rare enough.
The older version the rarer, expensier and more costly to over haul...
Even the ZF synchroma 5 DS-25, also got constantly developed and "beefen" up internally throu the race seasons.
Number of different ratios etc...
Several different CWP units to chose.
At the same time it was used in F1 etc..
developed from one..
With older, not as much "fancy" history from it´s oldest origin.

In the few LHD MkIII´s the did like in the Pantera, just route the linkage to a central position..

The GT40 box was sequencial, meaning you could not "jump" a grear in any "direction".
A -1 can have different CWP´s and shafts.
longer gear casing.
steel side and rear covers.
Different gearbox out going levers.
two different side covers.
Both also had cross bolts wich either went throu the alu top hinge cover or rewersed up side down like the Pantera etc.. it had the bolts throu the "sump"
the ZF synchroma 5 DS-25 had alu side, top and rear cover and the shorter housing.
The longer housing was made to have stronger axles and gears as well as beefen up the housing with steel covers.
The -2 got 7 bolted bellhousings instead of 4.
A bit more webbing on the gear housing.
Different "standard" ratios
Mainly used in Panteras, thus turned up side down.
No top plate with hinges anymore.
Different rear cover.
1 type of steel side covers.
the "boxed" gearbox out going lever.
Slighly different CWP housing.
Internally strenghtened.
Strenghtening was a constant process...
Different lenghts of in going axles.
mostly Pantera type of CWP but there were options for other cars and vehicles.
As ther alway´s were.
The -2 designed for the M1 got even stronger internally and got much more webbings outwards as well.
Different ratios again..., but options as usually
A lot of different in going axles.
turned "right" again.
using "same" top hinge alu plates again.
using right turned -1 rear cover.
gear lever on box similiar to Pantera style.
but were also several types.
Different out going axles.
Several CWP´s on the offer.

If you turn it the same way, get it hooked up with the bellhousing, drive shafts and gear linkage it is pretty much the same basic unit.
There were several other types as well.
-10(truck), -25(indy,F1) etc... etc...
Heavy vehicle design(sturdy, that´s why) wich evolved into F1 Sportscars etc...
Of course it evolved and went stronger etc..
But all thing do or ?
To a certain level anyway...
Then there were different types of oil pumps and......................

I have probably forgotten a lot of things, but...maybe helps some of you....
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hi all

I got a phone call from Mike Quaife this morning he is in the process of upgrading the
six speed transaxle to enable even faster gear changes. He confirmed that this gearbox
would be available with the helical cut gears and would take our kind of power outputs without problem. He said that the new model trans would be ready in a few weeks time and that he would put a discount package together for members of this forum. I also suggested that this trans would be a better option for the new concept GT40.
If Ford were to adopt this transaxle for the new GT40 then economies of scale could be
achieved by Quaife and a good reduction in build cost by Ford.

Regards

Chris

While on the subject of economy of scale and Ford’s new GT40, I would expect the RBT 6-speed transaxle to become more reasonably priced next year. Ford has a history of low pricing on drivetrain parts immediately following introduction of a new model, followed by realization that enthusiasts are snapping the pieces up and finally responding by jacking the price up. Case in point, the supercharged 5.4 SOHC Lightning engine which was introduced in 1999. Hot rodders who were on the ball picked up brand new long blocks, complete with blower, for less than $3,000 in early 1999. That same crate engine now costs about $6,000.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Chris,

Can you check availability of a bell housing to mate the box to a 302 Windsor and could you also indicate which hydraulic release bearing that the box is set up for.

This has been a posible option that I have been keen on for years and when Ken Saunders first broached the subject (4 years ago) with Quaife they required 50 orders. I ordered two or three then and was very dissapointed when the cost more than doubled. I STILL want to do this and have recently passed on the information to the Fox Collection here in Australia for one of their projects.

Contact me through normal channels Chris and might see you at Le Mans in a month or so if you are there. Quaife is one of my points of call in the UK in June when I will be there.

Best wishes,

Robert

I agree with Chris as far as Ford's choice of 'box for the *new* GT40. As far as *new* cars go, even some mundane(ish) saloon cars have got push button gearchanges.

For Ford to use an H pattern change in what will be their flagship model is hardly groundbreaking!

Ford motorsport have been using sequential changes for years, especially in Rallying. It would be fair to say it has become the norm in many levels of motorsport.

Hi Robert

the Quaife box fits the ZF DS25/2 bellhousing. I am in the process of having them cast from the original for my ZF box.
Ray Mallock has a bellhousing that will take this box at £480 but also needs orders of five to produce them. See Bellhousing thread

Regards

Chris

Does anyone use a Tilton bellhousing. They make some nice low ground clearance bellhousings, alum. flywheel and three disk clutch, superstarter, and hydraulic throwout bearing combos. I wonder if one of their setups could be a direct boltup or be modified to fit.

Back