RF40 and Quafe 6-speed transmission

Has anyone looked into putting the Quafe 6-speed transmission in the RF40? Just curious about fitment issues and modifications needed.

I like the 6-speed option, choosing my own gear ratios, and the sequential change pattern. http://www.quaifeamerica.com

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
" N "

I like to see names , if only nicknames.

I would be happy to do the work for you and design the car to fit this excellent gear box.

Quaife are currently racing in Europe in the GT championships in their own car which has a Reily and Scott Ford engine and this box. The cars are raced in the Le Mans series and are up against the worlds best. The driver is Quaife junior (I wish his father had addopted ME !!!!! ).

Although expensive this is a great option that I would love to offer.

Please contact me if I can help.

Best wishes,

Robert

Robert, I would bet you a GT40 kit that N437D refers to the US registration number of a certain 1956 Beechcraft G35 Bonanza aircraft which is most likely owned by this gentleman.
grin.gif

I have a couple questions about the Quaife gearbox, videlicet:

1) are the gears straight cut and therefore noisy, as with the Jericho transmissions, and

2) does the sequential reference imply that a vehicle can be equipped with paddle shifters, similar to the F1 cars and the SMG II option on the 2002 BMW M3? Having paddle shifters in a GT40 may not be historically correct, but it would certainly alleviate the annoying problem of figuring out where to place the shifter.

I also seem to remember someone saying the Quaife 6-speed could be had for a 20% discount if several units were ordered at once. Might make good economic sense in high-torque applications that would beat on a Getrag or ZF gearbox.

Regards,
Mark
Prefers fast cars and slow airplanes

I would love to have one of the 6 speed sequential boxes and they are $12K, not bad compared to the RBT 6 speed for $15K

Copied & pasted from the Quaiffe website-

"Also available with a conventional "H" gate gearchange, the box can be fitted with dog-engagement spur gears or helical synchromesh gears"

It would appear to be the ultimate gearbox solution for a GT40.. Can take loads of power, fitted either way up, plus all the ratios you could ever want...

Only downside is the price, altho cheaper than the RBT 6 speed!

Hi all
$12000 or £8000 buy five and get a 20% discount. It has the same bolt pattern as the ZFDS25/2 so bell housing is not a problem,also comes with CV joint output shafts. It will take 700 HP
Regards
Chris
9668116-0283-02000156-.jpg
9668119-9787-02000156-.jpg

9668115-dad2-02000156-.jpg

9668117-a65e-02000156-.jpg

9668118-85c0-02000156-.jpg
9668114-a169-02000156-.jpg

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Chris,

I will buy one at the 20% discount price if we can find another 4 to also buy !!!!

These are the best piece of work that I have seen for a while and as regards the shift mechinism I would go for the right hand gear change position with the pull - push .

The other styles of change can be designed with a little lateral thought and even a semi automatic should be possible but the boxes are great in design.

I WANT ONE !!!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi all

I have phoned Quaife today and made them aware of this forum and asked if they could
post details of any deals that they might be prepared to offer our members on the five
speed or six speed helical cut transaxle’s

Regards

Chris
PS.Lets hope they respond.

What a marvelous piece of machinery! At 83 kg (183 lb) dry, it seems a bit heavier than some of the other options, but I guess that's the price you pay for the torque-handling capacity. Does anyone know what the dry weights of the ZF, Audi/Getrag, G50, and Renault transaxles are?

Regarding my question about the straight-cut gears, I also called Quaife America and was told that the gears are straight cut and therefore rather noisy, and that the 6-speed unit is intended primarily for race applications. Chris, when you refer to helical cut gears are you requesting a quote from Quaife for a special order that would yield a more "streetable" transaxle?

I'm concerned about too severe a loss of street manners from the drivetrain I eventually go with, but if the Quaife could be made more street friendly I would likely go with it. Of course if the price and value are right, I could be convinced to purchase one this summer.
grin.gif

Regards,
Mark

Hi Chris
FYI there is a -0 version of the ZF which is very rare that is a mirror image of the -1,-2's. This was made for some racing MKI's. GT40's were right hand drive,except for a few MKIII's,because most race tracks are driven clockwise which means more right hand turns. The -1,-2's because the linkage crossed over sometimes on banking grabbed 3rd instead of 5th. due to twisting forces.
The -0 could have shorter linkage so this happened less. The -0's also were sequencal to avoid this problem. I have one of these boxes in my Lola.
Best
Jim

Dear Marco
This box is not one of those. It came from KarKraft. When I sent it to ZF they said it was one of two prototype boxes they made for Ford. The case is cast in a mold that is a mirror image.

Hi Mark

The ZFDS25/2 is 65 Kilograms about 143 Lbs.
The quaife transaxle as Julian said "Also available with a conventional "H" gate gearchange, the box can be fitted with dog-engagement spur gears or helical synchromesh gears"

Chris

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Dear, Jim !

Maybe you got a prototype, but when speaking in general of ZF synchroma 5 DS-25-0.
This means ZF synchroma 5 DS-25 because there is no -0.
Not any production boxes.
When a new varitation came, they simply addded -1, then -2 etc...
They are just mentioned
ZF synchroma 5 DS-25-0 as to help separate them from the others.
Anything can/could be done, but why bother about such a box ?
When you are having full time getting the one used, to cope and develop.
Ford wanted a working box, so they probably spent their money on it.
GT40 boxes has their linkage pretty straight forward from the box towards the gearstick on the rights side of the car.
So why on earth would they even try to route a linkage from the gearbox left side across the car and into the right side of the driver ?????
Prototype for fun !
It sounds funny to me, but maybe you are right.
I wish you could show me a picture of it.
Only way to get me fully trust in to what you say.
ZF synchroma 5 DS-25, -1, -2 etc..
Have all different castings.
But when turned a like they all have their gear linkage on the rightside(GT40 style)
And the gear lever on box is basically the same, altough the later ones were also equipped with the dust cover box.
There were also different lever versions...for other vehicles...
And should not your T70 have a (Hewland ?
wink.gif
)
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Dear Marco
My Lola did originally have a 4 speed Hewlett but it had strait cut gears and was hard to drive on the street. I still have it. I used the ZF when I converted it for the street. It is now a bit of a hot rod. The tub has been reskinned in stainless. It has AC, electric windows and gull wing doors that open via hydrolics. It has built in radar dectection and a CD player. It has an extra water radiator in the tail and it can stay cool stopped with the AC on.
Best
Jim

Dear Chris !
I am sorry if i got out of hand !
Wire linkage, what will they start next !
GTD had the wires for a while...
But hey, be my guest all you Quaife guy´s !..

Dear Jim !

I am glad you kept the original gearbox.
Hope you also might , still have the original body...
Sure sounds like a real Hot Rodder...
You got a nice collection !....
Take care of your "children"....
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hi Jim

Photo 3 shows the shift cable no gate just push and pull.Dash mounted gear indicator

Chris.

Back