Rick's Wannabe KVA

And now the fun begins, so they say. Currently researching photos of Type "C" chassis to restore my ICW back to original spec.

Some background history, it appears that the body panels and my new chassis were one and the same but were separated back in the 1980s,
having them back together is some sort of kar-ma (pardon the pun).

I should have more pics up including SolidEdge CAD drawings as I intend to
document the chassis and associated modifications as I go.

Attachments

• DSCN1448.jpg
    DSCN1448.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,254
hi Rick,
I'm also building a kva see my thread
if you want some detailshot of the chassis mayby i can be of some assistance (if possible)

good luck
frank

hi Rick,
I'm also building a kva see my thread
if you want some detailshot of the chassis mayby i can be of some assistance (if possible)

good luck
frank

Thanks for the offer, Frank, any assistance is greatly appreciated :)
I think I've already checked out your thread which has already helped considerably...

Rick (F3L)

Hi Guys

New boy to the forum.

I have been finishing off my KVA for the last 18 months and getting close to the SVA......only a couple of small jobs to do........

Rich

Hi Frank

Only a couple but i like all the shiny bits......plus a big tasty lump

Rich

Based in Bristol

Attachments

• GT40 128.jpg
    GT40 128.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • GT40 145.jpg
    GT40 145.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,061
Hi Frank

Only a couple but i like all the shiny bits......plus a big tasty lump

Rich

Based in Bristol

Hi Rich:

One thing I had to find out is the measurements for placing the upper and lower radius rod brackets on the B-pillar upright post, any ideas?

In addition, what is the distance from the floor to the horizontal brace linking the two B-pillars (just under the bulkhead rear window) ?

Regards,

Rick (F3L)

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Rick,

If it's of any help, you're more than welcome to drop by and take some measurements or have a closer look at details on my car. The car is currently off the ground a foot or so, so much of it is accessible. PM me if you've lost my contact info.

Cheers,
Mark

Rick
The thing is what datum are you using? the window can change position as well as the floor, the only constant is the ground. Give me a call if you want a chat, the floor in my car car is 5cm lower and the front pedals are forward, i am 5 11 and will have to pull the seat forward to reach the pedals.

Rich

Rick

I just read your question again and yes i will measure any distance for you, the car is in the air at the moment so i don't have a datum to work from unless you pick one.

Regards

Rich

PS My car was mostly built by a racing fabrication company and they have done a few mods as well as fantastic ally work.... i wish i could take the credit

Rick

If you are into KVA's the you will notice that all the wishbones/uprights are light weight bespoke items.....like a lot of the rest of the car. I will send you some more pictures but please don't get upset at their workmanship

Rich

Rick,

If it's of any help, you're more than welcome to drop by and take some measurements or have a closer look at details on my car. The car is currently off the ground a foot or so, so much of it is accessible. PM me if you've lost my contact info.

Cheers,
Mark

Hey Mark, I'll give you a call and see if I can pop over this weekend...

Rick

Further progress... "x" marks the spot, that is, the 48 feet or so of 3/4" tubing

Much thanks to everybody so far for the great reference pics. This week is the fabrication of the 1.5" square tubing front shock uprights.

Attachments

• DSCN1456.jpg
    DSCN1456.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 662
  • DSCN1457.jpg
    DSCN1457.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 640
  • DSCN1458.jpg
    DSCN1458.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 668
  • DSCN1461.jpg
    DSCN1461.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 642
  • DSCN1462.jpg
    DSCN1462.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 686
  • DSCN1463.jpg
    DSCN1463.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 640
Finally time to finish off the car.

Just purchased and received complete front and rear C4 suspension components, I'm now drawing up plans to construct front and rear suspension using reference pictures from Larry's Intergrity Koach Works GT-40 in Houston (thanks Larry!).

Sourced an engine ('68 Ford 302) and transaxle (Porsche) so making headway on many fronts.

I don't mind constructing from scratch but if anyone knows where an extra set of front IKW A-arms are, please feel free in sending me a message as I would be definitely interested :)

The last pic is a temporary placement, just to sketch out what needs to be done before sending off the chassis for further welding / media blasting / painting...

Next month sees me down in Maine to visit Jay to pick up some stuff, looking forward to that.

Attachments

• Download 20090413 002.jpg
    Download 20090413 002.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 444
  • Download 20090413 004.jpg
    Download 20090413 004.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 515
  • Download 20090413 005.jpg
    Download 20090413 005.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 516
  • Download 20090413 006.jpg
    Download 20090413 006.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 469
  • Download 20090413 007.jpg
    Download 20090413 007.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 556
More components for the build, courtesy of Jay :)

I've been waiting for a mid-section spyder for eons!

Attachments

• Download 20090514 025.jpg
    Download 20090514 025.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 477
  • Download 20090514 026.jpg
    Download 20090514 026.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 489

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Glad to see things rolling along Rick.

I had a fantastic time last weekend when I met up with Trevor in Manotick. We spent hours talking and looking at build photos and he treated (and it was a treat) me to a good long 45 minute run in the country in his car. It is a fantastic performer and handles incredibly. It was certainly a huge motivator for me to get my projects finished up. A friend tells me there is a burgundy GT40 in Orleans so our local community is larger than I thought.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

Mark

Back