Road Car or Race Car?

Good morning gents,

I thought I better introduce myself.

I don't own a GT40 (at present) but have certainly caught the bug, not helped at all by Goodwood.

I have owned a 2005 Ford GT for a couple of years and have always wanted to add a proper GT40 to my small collection, my brother-in-law (sadly now passed away) owned and raced a car in the 80's however unfortunately I have very little infomation on the car, he sold the car shortly before he passed away, and at the time he was racing I was old enough or wise enough to find out a chassis number.

My problem is that I am not really a racer and so I cant see I would ever be able to use a race-spec car, but at the same time is a road car usable on the road?

I have a number of friends who own cars, mainly race cars, so they are all rather biased! Perhaps somebody might be able to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance.

David.

Welcome David. Unsure if you are asking if the GT 40 makes a suitable road car or not but I think thats what you're getting at. First and foremost the GT40 is a far cry from the civility of a Ford GT. Completely different driving scenarios. The GT 40 is loud, cramped, hot, brutish, difficult to see out of and not suitable for any overnight travel unless travelling alone (so you can use the passenger seat for storage) but its a stunning looking car and if set up properly can bring unlimited smiles and joy to ones face. A/C can be fitted (mine has it) which certainly helps but IMO one has to be prepared to "rough" it and love it for that trait. I do. I never get tired of looking at her sitting in the garage or on parking lot nor do I get tired of the fantastic sound she makes at full chat. She is not "easy" to live with at times but overall I really love telling people I drive a GT 40 even though its a replica. I hope this helps. Again, welcome to the forum.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
David,

Approximately 20 to 30 of the original cars were sold as street cars. I have an SPF that I set up as the street car version, set a little higher, AC, SBF 302 based motor.....

I have put 35,000+ miles on mine, although its not a daily driver for several reasons, I do drive it several times a week and just LOVE it!!!

I am looking for an original car, I'm unlikely to start racing, although I attend most major historic racing events annually, and I know a road car without period race provenance is likely to be easier on my wallet! I'd never do serious mileage in it except perhaps for the odd tour. I'm already talking to most of the notable dealers who know GT40's. I've been studying them for a while, and as an engineer myself I've a fair understanding of what I'm looking at on a restored car. I'd love a restoration project but I think that will be hard to find.

Back