Rick Merz was as nice a spaceframe as they come....and he sold it
(after a long try) around $ 65k.

IMHO anyone who gets more than that on a spaceframe should consider
themselves very fortunate.

MikeD

Nah, I've seen spaceframes go for more ($80K) and less ($45K). I also
recall that Rick was offered more for his GTD, but at the time, he was
not interested in selling it. Hence, my statement that a car is only
worth a) what someone will take and b) what someone will pay.

Again, it depends on components, manufacturer, fit & finish, and current market.
Pantera Motorsports still has a mono CAV, with a 427stroker and ZF.
Originally they wanted over $100K for it, now it is down to $100K. It has
been advertised for months (6 at least). I'm not sure if they have gotten
any offers at all (people scared by the asking price) or just low ones.

Ian

i've read enough here to post a reply. the car is all that i say it is. the fact that i sell motorcycle parts for a living has nothing to do with me selling my GT40 in ebay. i just don't have time to finish this car because i have no time at all. i also have to sell it because i bought a new place and i have to move pretty son and will have no time at all for this project. right now its at 20k and that is half of what i have invested in it. i'm hoping that it will reach $32k but i can only wish. this car can be completed for 5k or 50k because it all depends on what the builder wants. i know that the GT40 crowd is a tough/picky crowd but there is nothing wrong with that. i'm that way myself but let me assure you guys that i'm an honest person and the winner of the auction will walk away with much more than what i have in it. my phone number is there for anybody to call me. that is my cel number. anybody is welcome to call me for any information about this car. 954-415-0026.

thanks for putting in a good word for me Peter....

thanks

Nice to see you chime in Luis. Even when your car was up for sale
originally, Mike and Peter had good things to say. My only concern
is your payment terms are tremendous red flags - cash or bank draft
only. I would imagine that if you eased up on those restrictions and
allowed a prospective buyer to go through an escrow service at his/her
cost, you might see more bids.

Ian

Ian,
Would you let me know where the one for under $60k is in Florida? (Please don't say the one that was in Hemmings! I already posted the story of that one on the GT40's For Sale forum.)
Thanks,
Ford1

ian

the reason i have those methods of paying is because i have sold cars, bikes and boats before and it has been in cash or cashiers check. did not know of any escrow accounts. i'm not going to rip anyone off at all. i'm right here with my number on the auction to answer to everyone that calls about this. this car will be a steal for what its going right now but i have to move on. just in parts alone there is more than $20k and then you have a free chassis and body... how much is that worth. what i'm trying to say is that this is a great deal and i hope that someone enjoys it and finishes it. i cant do it right now. hopefully some other day i can buy one allready done. hopefully my methods of payment will not discourage potential buyers because as soon as they read my feedback they can tell that there is no funny business with me at all.

cheers

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Luis,

I think it would be a good thing if you could explain how the suspension mods were done: the new pickup points, A arms and uprights. I think there are enough people here who are familiar with Mike Starlings and my Sabre that may be wondering how that setup was arrived at and fabricated.

I think this might help your sale. Good to hear from you and good luck with the sale.

Lynn

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Since my previous post may have stirred up some crap and fed suspicions, let me just repeat my previous comment that at anything close to the current bid, this car is an absolute steal. Several people have vouched for Louis or know of him. Anyone who is seriously looking should get on a plane and go see the car and check it out in person. If I was still looking, I'd be there now (and enjoying the sun instead of the snow). More than half way done for much less than half the price of a completed car.

This looks like a STEAL, a great deal for someone with some modest skills waiting to jump in to ownership.

There are enough connections on the forum to easily clear out any issues with completion.

Brian

i realy want to get a plane and fly to florida, but the time is to short, and florida so far away, and the bordercontroll at home so slow, i get no clear infos for import, i will cry!! i had a bad time !! i know that is not your problem, but can you understand my situazion??

just ernst

Luis,

As I said, others have vouched for you, I have no doubts about your honesty
and integrity. With the likes of Mike, Lynn and Peter backing you up, I
have no problems.

I was just mentioning that the eBay community is much larger than the
GT40s.com one, and many people on eBay will see your terms of cash or
bank draft/cashier's check and will probably not bid. eBay actually warns
people against sellers who stipulate these terms as there is no recourse
in the event a deal goes south. Adding that you would accept escrow at
the buyer's cost would probably make many potential bidders feel much
better about conducting business.

And you are absolutely correct, at $20K, this is a real bargain.

Ian

Ian,
Would you let me know where the one for under $60k is in Florida? (Please don't say the one that was in Hemmings! I already posted the story of that one on the GT40's For Sale forum.)
Thanks,
Ford1

Sorry Mike, I posted the info before I saw your response.

However, that is not the first sub $60K CAV I have seen, and I doubt it will
be the last.

Ian

ian

yes. you are right, ebay is very large and it is also filled with scam artists. like i said before, i've never heard of the service or escrow so i'm not too sure how to use it and if there is a benefit to me on it. i myself dot want to be the victim of a scam. if you have a website you can refer me to i would be glad to check it out.

Just seems to be on the lead and we talked on the phone a few days ago. he is a great guy and seems like he will probably do a great job building this car. i hope that if he wins it and builds it he can invite me to Austria to see it and ride in it. i will definitelly take the trip there.

cheers

BTW, I went to escrow.com and i revised the auction with the option of paying with escrow at the buyers expense. i have nothing to hide in this auction so i have nothing to worry about. thanks for the info on this. like always, this forum is very helpful.

cheers

I have no problem with cash only on a vehicle sale.
No one is going to use Paypal for a large purchase.
Actually I prefer a bank to bank transfer for anything beyond $ 10k.

As a buyer you should see the car in person at pickup PRIOR to forking over the money. If you buy any hi-value item site unseen...you're taking a risk
you shouldn't be.

As a seller, I sure don't want the risk of forged/bad checks/money orders.
Escrow is fine...but certainly not mandatory. If you don't like the Terms,
don't buy the car !

Actually if I was Luis I'd have listed the motor/tranny/Sabre
seperately....more work for sure...but I bet more money.
Hopefully he'll get a fair price for it.

MikeD

I also would like some info on the suspension mods. While I do not claim to be an expert, I have some concerns about the way the sway bar mounts are projected so far from the frame rail. I would think with the distance that high amounts of leverage would be applied to twisting the rails. It also appears that the spindles are late 80's Fox body and anyone who as tracked one of those cars knows the scrub issues with them. Again no expert but maybe someone esle can comment.

the suspension: the original suspension was given to me in a bunch of pieces and i was told to buy corvetter parts to make it work. i've had great experiences with Factory Five cobras so i took my car to a race car engineer and gave him SN95 spindles for a mustang and rear lincoln hub carriers.... the same stuff used on the IRS cobras and gave them to the engineer. i told him that i needed this to be perfect and with added sway bars. he took his time and installed everything with the best components and then everything was ceramic coated. i spared no expense in this and it came out beautiful this man road races and builds cars that go fast. he has been in several race teams and races very frequently. last week he was in Puerto Rico and before that he went to dominican republic for another race. he knows what he's doing... that is for sure.

cheers

Back