Selling immediately after building?

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Yup, although I haven't sold my first build, a 66 Mustang, I enjoyed the time in the shop. It has about 5000 miles on it in 20 years. The shop time is a big part of the picture. I am only a mechanic but the time spent attempts to turn me into an engineer,fabricator,body man, painter designer, develop patients or lack their of. The process is called enjoying a hobby. In the end it is what it is. In my case havin fun.

Shaun

Supporter
I'm with Bill on the fun hobby part, the reason(s) I took the plunge were that classic cars now are so much money in the UK so no way could I afford one (mind you a 40 not cheap but the see what you get for your £ / $), the build is as much part of it as the finished product, the build is probably never finished anyway (always a tweak here and a betterment there) and at the end you know that nobody in the world with any amount of cash has the same car as you as each is in some way unique.
Plenty of people can walk into Porsche or Ferrari and say "I'll have that one" but its one of a production line.
Unique bunch us lot, mad at times, but unique :)

1547659700919.png

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya Jac , I may have had a bit of a reaction to making a video that does noting to add any value. Then to state the obvious continuously for it's entire length would make it worse if it could. Come on! He's actually looking like a 80 year old lady with terminal arthritis bitchin about how harsh it rides! Then he finally gets up the courage to add a little power and he acts like he had just passed out on a 8 G turn in a F15. Total pussy!

He clearly never has been it a real race car before and should never get into one again so he doesn't hurt his soft little bum. Jeeze…………………

Nice to hear from you Jac! I hope all is well and all of yours are happy. Happy new year to ya mate!

Ya Jac , I may have had a bit of a reaction to making a video that does noting to add any value. Then to state the obvious continuously for it's entire length would make it worse if it could. Come on! He's actually looking like a 80 year old lady with terminal arthritis bitchin about how harsh it rides! Then he finally gets up the courage to add a little power and he acts like he had just passed out on a 8 G turn in a F15. Total pussy!

He clearly never has been it a real race car before and should never get into one again so he doesn't hurt his soft little bum. Jeeze…………………

Nice to hear from you Jac! I hope all is well and all of yours are happy. Happy new year to ya mate!
All the Best to You n yours Howard, happy as can be, so long as I meet up with good folk n avoid the twats of the world!

And on the other end of the spectrum is Cam in Dallas who drives his SL-C a lot and has over 20,000 miles on it.

I'm trying to catch up with him, but have a ways to go. :)

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Shawn,

Roger hit the nail on the head with his list in post #4.

I'm chiming in as I was the one who commissioned Allan to build SLC 17. As with anything, there were multiple factors at play, but my sale was predominately related to the birth of our 3rd child. We didn't anticipate him joining us at the outset of the build - and once he was here, I had zero enthusiasm for spending the little free time I had sorting through some of the typical teething issues you'd expect with a car of this nature. To be honest, the car rode very nicely on the street - with the exception of the awful SPEC clutch we put in it, the car's street manners were far in excess of my expectations.

I also was under the mistaken impression one could build a car like this into a dual purpose vehicle - a streetable track car. If you take nothing else away from this post than this advice - DO ONE OR THE OTHER! Build a very competent track car *OR* build a car with a street use in mind. Turning out a car like Porsche's GT3, that is good to drive both on the track and street requires a huge budget and the know-how of an engineering staff. The SLC can be great at one or the other.

As far as the subsequent sale goes - the person who bought the car from me did so sight unseen and had never owned a non-production car. He was accustomed to tuned GTR's and I think the car was too much attention and too raw. His only real complaint was the clutch, which he told me made the car unenjoyable to drive. I don't think he owned it more than 48 hours before he listed, and sold, it. His ownership was a special case, though.

Best,
John

PS I had the LS525 motor in mine, as well - I found the car really composed and not scary at all to drive. Really good traction, too... as long as I wasn't hooning around in 1st.

Hi guys I’m getting into the idea of owning an slc but one of the things that worry me is that some people sell the car almost immediately after finishing or buying it. An example is Eric McClellans, car number 17 sold twice in 6 mo, and a few others. But then it seems some guys keep it forever. I also see a lot of cars with 1000 miles or less.
Eric said he wanted a car that would scare him, but the slc scared him too much, so he sold it.
Can any guys with completed cars explain this phenomenon?
The only kit car I’ve ever owned was a poorly put together generic cobra a few years ago. It was terrible in every way and I sold it shortly after. I’ve owned many exotics and hard to drive cars such as a gen1 viper with no factory ac. Current car is a lambo lp640 roadster, which is a pretty extreme car.
How’s the slc overall? For a well built street example with a good interior - say a rapier or one of Allan’s does it feel like a kit car that’s wicked fast and handles good or does it feel more like say a Ferrari challenge stradale , early viper, or similar stripped down “race inspired” street vehicles.
How often do you guys who keep these drive them?

Cody DeHart

Supporter
I watched Demuro's video on the Challenge Stradale and it sounds like a terrible car to drive on the streets - are you looking for an SLC that's as good as this, or better? Overheated cabin/no AC, super loud (no sound deadener), tons of noise, atrocious turning circle ... Throw AC into any SLC and I think you've got a more comfortable car ... The interior of the Stradale that Demuro reviewed also looked "Spartan" - exposed roll cage and nothing soft other than the little bit of seat padding he had.

I live in Houston Tx and I went 5 years without ac, I just added it because I decided to make the car water tight so I can drive it without worry about the weather. I have almost 22K miles on my car.

Last edited:
Back