sequential transaxle for GT40

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
You can't use "sequential" and "reasonable price" in the same sentence. Forget the "reasonable" and maybe look towards Fortin Tranmissions or Mendeola Transmission. They originally (a few years ago) were too long to get in a GT40 but worth looking into.

Check this out:
SEQUENTIAL SHIFTERS - SQS & CARTRONIC MOTORSPORTS - PORSCHE SEQUENTIAL SHIFTER - PERFORMANCE FOR ROAD AND TRACK - Porsche Sequential Shifter System [SQS & Cartronic Motorsports] Distributed by AQ Performance
would be neat if they made this to adapt to the trans you're using now.

i'm pretty sure this is the same unit tried by a reputable vintage race shop in a race car. Bottom line is that the thing wouldn't work - it might give you the first three gears, then mash the synchros on the last three, or work on one trip through the gearbox, but not back down. They just pulled it off and went back to H pattern.

can't recall exactly which box it was, however.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

I've been told these guys have a setup that works with our ZF boxes:

Paddle Shifters, Sequential and Electronic - ASaP

I think whole-system price is in the $3-4K range.

Last edited:
I've been told these guys have a setup that works with our ZF boxes:

Paddle Shifters, Sequential and Electronic - ASaP

I think whole-system price is in the $3-4K range.

The Master Shift system referenced in the link above was what Gary Cheney tossed out of his GTM after it ate a transaxle. Others have had similar experiences. I think Fran had one and didn't end up being happy as well.

I wouldn't put one of those in a car that had a transaxle I cared about. Plus, in a GT40, where would you put the huge box that is part of the system?

Don't use anything other than pneumatic shifters (if you want to use paddles). The electric solenoid units just smash the transmissions from the inside!

I have an 6sp sequential Elite Racing Transmissions TXL300 in my RF. Major mods to make it fit, but a totally custom build anyway, so no worries :)

The TXL250 is also an option...

Hi Sir,
what do you mean for sequential transaxle?
- Manual sequential through a barrel ?
- Electro hydraulik actuated gearbox via paddle shift ?
- Synchronized or dog rings ?
- How many gears, 5, 6 or 7 ?
Ciao
Wanni​

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I chatted with Holinger ast the PRI show....

the conversion gearsets for the G96 and G97 are $24,000 and that does not include installation....the rebuild interval is 30 hours.
This is a bump lever application...the Holinger lever is another $3,000

Hey Mr Wanni is still alive !

Do you offer a gearbox for a reasonable price in the meantime which will fit our GT40´s ?

TOM

Inverted Albins AGB10 is still too long for most (if not all) GT40 applications - even with billet bell housing 'as short as possible'.

Great box though, even if it is a bit heavy... Very helpful guys out there too.

Inverted Albins AGB10 is still too long for most (if not all) GT40 applications - even with billet bell housing 'as short as possible'.

What is the max length for a gearbox to fit in the GT40?

When you say sequential do you mean a gearbox that shifts via paddles, or a gearbox that is like a motorcycle shift pattern?

That is, a typical rear cluster, mechanically actuated MANUAL inline transaxle. My TXL300 is around 60mm shorter in thr tail than the Albins AGB10 5 speed (6 spd longer again). It JUST fits inside the bodywork...

Albins do both straight cut and helical cut gearsets, my Elite is 6spd straight cut with dog rings.

Thanks guys for the input on a sequential trans for a GT40. OK, forget the reasonable price. I have a bud in North Dakota that rides a Kawasaki ZX 1200 (Man Dan Dan) that I want to blow off his handlebars, but I need a sequential trans just like his bike in order to whup his ass. Most of us GT40 guys have the power to weight ratio as well as the extra rubber to get the job done. GT40's are Supercars that need super transmissions. That is why I am looking for a motorcycle style sequential transmissiom.

with 30 yrs of riding motorcycles, and doing all my own work, the ease of shifting, I don't understand why syncro's even exist anymore.
AAAAHH the spare part's industry.... if it lasted for ever no one would ever buy a second one or a spare!

I would love to have one too

Back