SL-C Approach angle?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Why would anyone drive one of these cars or a GT40 for that matter around downtown anywhere? These cars are meant for the open road. Install lifts to help get out of town and then let it stretch its legs.

You probably wouldn't have any issues Larry while running it up on jack stands in your garage :)

OK..........I'll bite........... Texas road rules?

No part of the car can be lower than the wheels. Which is logical, if you blow a tire you really want to be on the rim, not on the frame/body/etc. Back in the day it was easy to run afoul of that, but with today's high performance tires it's tough.

:stunned: There's really not much question, is there! :D:D:D

Ya see, they have these rather deep and fairly wide 'rainwater runoff channels'...'gullies', really...that run all along either side of said streets...and they continue right thru the intersections. So, if one were to attempt a turn in an SL-C, the instant the front tire dropped into said 'canyon'...well...:shocked: The same applies when simply crossing one of these intersections...'cause there's no way to approach these 'gullies' at an angle. One has to address them 'head-on'.)

Yep... South Florida has that exact same issue among others, and whats worse... what back roads this is Florida. :thumbsdown:

When I was in Scottsdale there are lots of canyons and back roads out to the wide open northern AZ country that was beautiful and sparsely populated. Makes me feel as if Florida, where I just moved to, is the wrong state for this car as a non track car. Who wants to take a Sunday drive up and down the turn pike.:shy:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Why would anyone drive one of these cars or a GT40 for that matter around downtown anywhere?

To impress the local folk, of course.

These cars are meant for the open road.

...but, one has to be able to GET TO the "open road"...doesn't one. And a front lift kit doesn't solve all the clearance 'issues' one often runs into going from "A" to "B".

You probably wouldn't have any issues Larry while running it up on jack stands in your garage :)

On occasion, that has proven to be a big advantage for me alright...no question.

BTW, are your '40's mods completed and is it on the road yet?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
:)

No sir. Wheels are finally back and look great. Engine is coming back out for a different front dress and there may be IDAs on it when it goes back in this time. Sand bent original spec exhaust is coming from Fran. Very excited to see them. Lots of work ahead but fun work going back together.

:stunned: There's really not much question, is there! :D:D:D

There's nooooo waaaaaaay you could drive your SL-C around downtown Santa Barbara (California for non-natives) at its present ride height! (Those here who may be familiar with that town know egg-zackly why I say that.)

That's my hometown! I live over the mountains now, but still work and drive in town all the time. 5" height in the 86 is no problem, but I don't have the overhang of a SLC or 40 splitter.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...I don't have the overhang of a SLC or 40 splitter.

'Zackly. Overhang is important...but, it's not the ONLY factor.

Shoot, I found myself scraping the front spoiler on my Ford Fusion rental car on more than one occasion while down there. 'Depended on how road "A" and road "B" met as far as their intersecting 'approach elevations' compared in relation to and in combination with the "gullies".

Next time wifey and I go down there, I'm just going to rent a dadgum Jeep!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
:)

No sir. Wheels are finally back and look great. Engine is coming back out for a different front dress and there may be IDAs on it when it goes back in this time. Sand bent original spec exhaust is coming from Fran. Very excited to see them. Lots of work ahead but fun work going back together.

A photo or two would be cool whenever you have time...

Back