SLC questions

Hello all,

First, I really like that everyone seems to be sharing knowledge here. I would've thought it woul dbe way more "secretive"!

I am in the realy early stages of looking at SLCs, I would have to sell my beloved 1992 Porsche 911 to gain some funds and I'm not sure I am willing to do that yet (I love this car!!). The value has raised a lot lately I don't know if it will hold or not.

Where I want to register it, they have very clear rules and I had a few questions for SLC owners:

1- the car needs to have 15° view up from eye level, and be able to see an object on the ground placed 30ft in front of the car
2- it needs wipers with intermittent feature. It needs to clean 80% of the windhield, that's 10° up and down, 56° to the right and 18↑8 to the left (of the driver's left eye)
4- needs window defroster (looks ok although doens't have a separate valve to choose where to send air)
5- needs horn (ok but needs a clock spring)
6- needs to have a turning radius of less than 28ft

I think all the rest of their rules can be quite easily dealt with during the build (reflectors and such)

Can you guys sonfirm the above points that woul dbe hard to modify (view, wiper and turning radius mostly)

Thanks!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Fran Hall ("gt40fran" here) would very likely know all that off the top of his head.

Or you might simply call Superlite Cars: (586-329-1573)

thanks.

It also needs glass meeting ANSI Z26.1 with marking AS 1, 10, 11C, 14 for windshield (not sure about the side windows or rear one)

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Wow, do they actually measure all that stuff?

1- the car needs to have 15° view up from eye level, and be able to see an object on the ground placed 30ft in front of the car
Forward visibility is very good, shouldn't be a problem.

2- it needs wipers with intermittent feature. It needs to clean 80% of the windhield, that's 10° up and down, 56° to the right and 18↑8 to the left (of the driver's left eye)
You mount the wiper motor, so left/right placement is up to you. The motor that came with my kit does not have an intermittent mode.

4- needs window defroster (looks ok although doesn't have a separate valve to choose where to send air)
I installed an air door to turn defrost on/off, pretty easy to do.

5- needs horn (ok but needs a clock spring)
Horn button on the steering wheel is easily done with an aftermarket hub. I used one from NRG.

6- needs to have a turning radius of less than 28ft

Hmmm, I've never measured this, but the turning radius is HUGE.

Hmmm, I've never measured this, but the turning radius is HUGE.

Yeah from the videos it seems the turning radius is really long.

But 28ft radius is almost 60ft wide turn, which is about 5 lanes wide.

I hope the car can pull a u-turn from the leftmost lane of a boulevard into 3 lane wide on the opposite dirction (assuming a 10ft wide median). I guess that would be about 60ft.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah from the videos it seems the turning radius is really long.

But 28ft radius is almost 60ft wide turn, which is about 5 lanes wide.

I hope the car can pull a u-turn from the leftmost lane of a boulevard into 3 lane wide on the opposite dirction (assuming a 10ft wide median). I guess that would be about 60ft.

With judicious application of throttle while turning, you can make that turning radius something around 5-6'... :lipsrsealed:

IF it really came down to turning radius, I think a few tricks from the drifting world and a swap of rims/tires could easily pull this off for certification. I think the seeing 30' out would come down to seating position as hood is certainly low enough. That is probably more a concern for 4x4's.

Back