Source for Transaxle?

Where is everyone sourcing the transaxles for their builds? This transaxle thing is all new to me. I've already talked with Kennedy Engineering about their adapter plates, clutches, etc for the 302 I will be using.

Safir spares for Bellhousing, clutches, starter, et al. RBT for the trans itself. Plan on about 20K plus the driveline parts (Spider plates/yokes/u-joints/axles). Driveline parts from Gelscoe is about 11K US. FYI.

JM

Howard Jones

Supporter
It would help if we know where you live. You can amend your profile to include country, state, and city. It really helps us help you.

For Porsche gearboxes:

It would help if we know where you live. You can amend your profile to include country, state, and city. It really helps us help you.

For Porsche gearboxes:

I'm in eastern Iowa.

I guess I'm a little confused on the gearing that is best for a street car that may see a little track time. I know LSD is a must, but do most transaxles have to have the gear sets changed out for something more suited to the power level and weight of these cars? I'll be usint a SBF with around 500 hp.

Is the final drive ration basically the same as the ring and pinion ratio in a third member? One of the Porsche transaxles I have been looking at has a final drive ration of 3.44. This would equate to the 3.89 I have in my other cars?

^ final drive is exactly analogous to ring pinion in a third member. So Porsche 3.44 equals the same in the third member. And that gear is chosen the same way you'd chose a third member/axle ratio - 4:1 for a drag car, 3.44:1 for an all around car, 2.9:1 for a high speed car. That's considerably simplified, but it comes down to one fact - we're mostly using torque rich engines in very light cars, so we typically don't need super short (4:1) gears to make the car responsive. Conversely, a super long gear set will make low speed launches/clutch management and low speed maneuvering more difficult.

Back