Quaife bellhousing on Ford block

The Ford dowels are 0.5" but the holes in the Quaife E62G1121 bellhousing are about 0.46". Quaife advised against enlarging these holes since one of them is so close to the dowel hole for the Chevy block. How to solve this problem?

Quaife-Bellhousing.jpg

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Good morning Bryan. A very easy solution and one I've had to do before is to step grind the dowels. Get a very accurate dimension from Quaife of the bellhousing hole. Then using a whirly gig in a surface grinder you can accurately grind the reduced diameter to perfection. If you can't find a machine shop locally to do it, I'll order up some dowels and grind them for you and send them to you free of charge. Feel free to email me you have my address.

Regards Brian

Thanks for your idea and your very kind offer Brian! I thought of this and if indicating the bellhousing shows good alignment then I would be all set. But if I need offset dowels could that be done?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
BHJ has a very nice fixture for correcting misalignment. You could easily make corrections with it. I have several BHJ fixture, but unfortunately not this one. ALL of their tooling and fixtures are of the highest quality from my experience with what I have purchased. They are a little pricey, but so is destroying a transaxle, seized clutch or possibly taking out a crank thrust bearing. In the past, I had a buddy of mine do this for me. But, unfortunately he passed away some time ago and no one seems to know what happened to a lot of his equipment.

Here is a previous post on the subject also.

Regards Brian

Last edited:
I've done a little more research.
Superformance recommended using a smaller dowel and a brass sleeve on the engine side.
But Dennis Olthoff says he has drilled out plenty of them to 0.5" with no problems.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I personally think you will have a difficult time finding a brass sleeve with a .460 id and a .500 od . .020 a side isn’t much. At any rate you don’t want to drill the bellhousing. A drill bit will bite in and give you a out of round hole that will more than likely be oversized. Then you will have excessive clearance allowing for a out of center input. If you give me the actual dimension of the bellhousing dowel holes, I will make you a reamer up that will pilot off the existing hole keeping the reamer straight allowing for a properly dimensioned hole.
The choice is yours, I just wanted to provide you with another option.

Regards Brian

Brian,
If I cannot find a machine shop I trust to ream the holes I will take you up on your offer to make a reamer. Thanks once again. I will let you know.

The Ford dowels are usually quite easy to punch out of the block from front to rear, them make a couple of new dowels 0.500" dia on one end and 0.460''dia on the other, small lathe reqd. If Quaife's accuracy is up to usual spec that should be job done.

Thanks, Jac Mac. I've heard some people say the Quaife bellhousing required offset dowels but still that would probably be the best thing to try first.

Thanks, Jac Mac. I've heard some people say the Quaife bellhousing required offset dowels but still that would probably be the best thing to try first.

There gets to be quite a bitof variation between stock block vs dart vs world etc so even if every one of quaifes bell housings is right on the money variation block to block can be enough to cause you to have to go to offset dowel pins or make alignment corrections one way or another.

The precision machine shop at Psycle Racing made me these two perfect-fitting stepped dowel pins.

stepped-dowel-pins.jpg

This was made difficult because not only were the two dowel pin holes in the bellhousing smaller than Quaife told me they were (0.485"), their sizes differed by about 0.001".

Here is what my dial indicator showed:

dial-indicator.jpg

So it looks to me like the bellhousing needs to move up about 6 or 7 thousandths.

I could ream the holes to 1/2" and use off-the-shelf .007"-offset dowels, or have some offset stepped dowels made.

I am currently fighting this exact same battle and once you ream the holes in the bell housing out to .500 there is so little material between the Ford pin and the Chevy pin that the bore will start to egg shape after it is test fit a couple times. That’s why I ended up turning some plugs for the Chevy pins and pressing them in.

I am currently fighting this exact same battle and once you ream the holes in the bell housing out to .500 there is so little material between the Ford pin and the Chevy pin that the bore will start to egg shape after it is test fit a couple times. That’s why I ended up turning some plugs for the Chevy pins and pressing them in.
That's a concern of mine too even though Olthoff told me it's nothing to worry about. So if I do ream the holes rather than having some offset, stepped dowel pins made, I will do the same, at least on the left side where it's so close.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
The reamer will be slightly tapered so take it slow and check often... I have a really boring video of me reaming a hole (keep it clean!!)

If you have access to a small lathe you should be able to turn up offset dowels by simply placing a shim under one jaw of increasing thickness's to obtaining a suitable offset.

So the inimitable Brian Kissel made me not one but two solutions. He made two offset stepped dowel pins and in case these didn't work for some reason, he completely set me up to ream the bellhousing holes to 1/2" with a four-step reamer, plugs for the 5/8" Chevy dowel pin holes, and even a pair of .007" offset 1/2" dowels. All of the parts he made were very impressive and I could not have asked for more.

The dowel pins fit perfectly in the block and in the two different-size holes in the bellhousing. And once I figured out which way they needed to face (duh) I ended up within 0.001" of perfect alignment.

Brian's help and generosity are the perfect example of what makes this an awesome community and I can't thank him enough.

The reamer is now available for anyone installing a Quaife bellhousing. Just let me know!

bellhousing-installation-parts.jpg

dowel-offset.jpg

Back