Spark Plug Boots

Anyone with a Roush or similar engine had problems with fried spark plug boots or wires? I haven't run my engine yet, but I did get the fiberglass woven boot covers. Running the wires from up above concerns me, but the Roush wire set isn't long enough to run from underneath.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've used the same sleeving as Rick (above) in a couple of applications and found them to work very well...

Petty? Not sure why you posted on this....

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Check out summit / jegs. Taylor, DEI, Accel, and others have a lot of options for boots, and in different color if that's your thing. I Run Taylor 409' 10.4mm with the 135deg boot (good for SBF) without any boots on the race car (65 mustang) and have no had a problem in not using them.

Sandy

I must say, I have used them all, and the only way to deal with this that I have found works consistantly is to either use the ceramic woven material boot covers and check the silicone boots every session, or use real ceramic boots. If you use the silicone ones, make sure they are high quality pure silicone. I have found that the only ones that hold up are a bright orange color like that of the fire shield material for hoses. The full ceramic ones I believe are a Champion product. I will look on an engine later if I remember. These are quite large due to the thickness of the ceramic, but I have never seen one of these fail. I haven't tried to fit them to the LS3, but just guestimating, it doesn't look like they will fit. Really was going to wait and see, as the only issues I have ever had are on tight fitting race engines that are run WOT most of the time. I can't imagine that a daily driver will produce the kind of heat a race car does. At least that has not been my previous experience. I guess I'm kinda wondering why and how you guys are having a problem?

Back