Spark Plug wire length??

Will the spark plug wires be standard length for the motor of choice.. 302 or 351W? I'll be installing a 351W and was wondering if I want longer wires so they droop down rather then hand tight and close to the motor. I'm worried about standard wires being too close the exaust.

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: DanielD ]

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: DanielD ]

Most of the major manufactures have "custom" length wires. One end is already fixed the other end is crimped on and the boot slid over. It allows one to route the wires any way that you want. I have done it several times and it can give a real nice custom look.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Have a look at the pictures on this forum und "my 1st pictures new car". The plug wires are MSD cut to lenght and the longest one could have been at least 6" longer. They will fit under the headers away from the heat.

G

I have always used aftermarket ignition leads. I use the 8.8 mm ones. Initially the Accel ones but have converted to Mallory. However the point to note, I think is on how you run them. For years I ran them from the plug going up bewteen the exhaust headers. I melted a few sets before my brain kicked in and I copied others who have them slung below the headers to the front of the engine and them up to the dizzy. I haven't melted anything since! Just check whether you want 90 degree boots or 45 degree boots as this makes some difference. Then the only other issue is whether you feel grouping the wires in a bunch is bad for cross triggering or not bad! I can't honestly say I have noticed anything by bunching the leads together for a neat package but then I am not quite sure what effect it would make so what do I look for? Over the top allows use of wire spreaders.

Malcolm

I like looking at pictures of motors to get ideas on layouts. Howards engine looks great. I'm hoping for my enjine to look on those lines. I will be using the Pro-flo efi that looks like a carbed setup and I'm using the 13 1/2" oval cleaner. I did order the MSD super-conductor wires. I ordered based on a 351W which determines the length of wires. I just wasnt sure if maybe I should order a set based on a big block motor to get longer lengths for the wires to hang down.
Daniel

Back