My GTD is for sale

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
This is the drivers seat, you need it if you are shorter than 5'10" otherwise the pad will fit you better.

Attachments

• 44327-DriverSeatandBatteryBox100k.jpg
    44327-DriverSeatandBatteryBox100k.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 352

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Rick,

I hope the GT40 community realizes what we are loosing as you sell your car and and migrate south. You have been the standard bearer for GT40 replica ownership and, even more so, USE, in every sense of the word. Every time there was any kind of component/kit built function that was covered by any automotive magazine, there was the red GT40 of Rick Merz. Along with the caption chronicling his victory or victories, there was a quote from Rick saying, "It's just my daily driver" or "..bye the way, it's also my daily driver." In those few words, he told everyone who read them, that the GT40 replica is a car that you can use for what ever you want to use it for and it will work well in any and all of those roles. Beyond this, Rick has shown himself to be one of the most helpful owner/builder out there. He has always been open to any questions or pleas for guidance and willing to share what he has learned/developed through out the evolution of his GTD.

Everyone who has ever sold anything related to a GT40, from an entire car to a gas cap, in the US, at least, owes Rick a debt of gratitude in my opinion. If there were a Hall of Fame for GT40 replicas, Rick and this car would HAVE to be in it.

Regards and Good Luck Rick!
Lynn

But wait there's more..........For those of you thinking about buying Rick's car, a few years back a well known component car magazine mistakenly reported that Rick had sold his car following that years "Run and Gun." Seems that someone had overheard an offer of ~$100,000 being proposed to Rick. Believing that he certainly wouldn't pass up that kind of money, they published it as fact. Indeed, I reported it here on GT40s.com based upon that article. Some time later, when I asked Rick about it, he told me that his acceptance of the offer had been rumor and that he thought the offer was a joke; it wasn't. Now, I have advanced CRS, so I may have the exact facts a tad twisted, but the jist is accurate and it does make a good story.

Ron Earp

Admin
Rick, I missed the post entirely, I am sorry to see you sell the car. You've been a fantastic board member here helping out whenever possible and I'm sorry to see you leave the GT40 community. I've not seen your car, but the price is indeed outstanding. If I had any sense I'd sell my partially finished kit and buy your car. But I don't have sense, nor time, but I'm determined to get mine done anyhow. Best of luck selling the car and if you have some hi-res pics you wish to post let me know and I'll host them here with links so that people can see them. Best,

Ron

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
No, I sold everything (transaxle, clutch, brakes, brake boosters, wheels, tires, windows, carpet, aluminum panels, axles, cv joints and motor mounts for $1,500 to a friend who is building a GT40. I had no use for the parts so he got a good price.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, but there are 3 people interested in it now, person #1 is arriving the 21st, if he does not buy person #2 arrives the 23rd and if he does not buy then person #3 will make arrangements to fly out and look at it. So I have a busy weekend ahead. I will post details if a sale is made as soon as it happens so that other people who may be interested in my car will know if it is still for sale.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
This is a sad post for me... even though I wanted to sell my car it was hard parting with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The good thing is that I believe that it went to a good home... I am sure that the new onwer is going to give it some track time and take good care of it. The new owner is not a member of this forum yet but may become one soon and make himself known. He has been a car nut for many years and has a great deal of expierence with restoring cars.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah Rick, I was expecting to hear the sad new too. But, on the other hand, Mexico here we come!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Margarita's aplenty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Tim, It's me, Carolina, when you come vist us in Mexico make sure that you pack your Brazilian thong because after a couple of my margaritas you may want to show off for the local chicas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Absolutely, my thong is on so am always ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But you know I don't show it alone.......Rick's got his doesn't he /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Praise the LORD,,,,who is that lucky DAWG?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Did somebody say Margaritas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Congarts Rick, I hope he is from Cali /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I realy mean this,,, I hope you got much more than what you were asking. That was/IS a Baaaad car.

Congratulations Rick. Somebody has gotten a really nice 40 for one heck of price. He willl enjoy it, I am sure. Like Fahrad, I hope he is from the wesr coast.

Rick,

Glad to hear the plan went OK ... very sorry to hear that you've sold the car.

If I'd had the means, I'd certainly have taken the first plane to see you. the new owner is a very fortunate soul!

Hope very much that you'll stay on the forum and continue to provide your inspired knowledge to the rest of us. I have REALLY appreciated your sage advice in the past!

Three Cheers for Rick! (one of the nicest guys around!)

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Guys, Thanks for the kind thoughts... Tim I'm too shy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif well maybe after a few drinks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif All, I will visit often so that I can stay in touch with the greatest group of guys that it has been my good fourtune to find. My wife and I are hoping that many of you will come and visit us in sunny Mexico, remember that when it is cold in the winter it will be 85° or 90° in Huatulco.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,
Here is your new GT40 under construction. Being that your shy, now I understand why Carolina convinced you into getting a boat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Back