Speed Sensor for KOSO gauge

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Anyone tried an alternate speed sensor with the KOSO gauge? I bought a Dakota Digital GPS speedometer sender to provide a VSS signal to hopefully solve my stalling issues. Since I have the GPS unit, I'd love to use it to drive the speedometer also.

I'd rather not cut into the speed sensor wire just to see if it works, thus the question.

I don't know the answer, but a call to Koso would probably yield the right answer. You'll need to know what the sender outputs first, though.

Another way is to hook up the current sender to a spinning wheel and use a scope to see what happens.

IIRC, Most of the GPS senders are adjustable to 2K, 4K 8K and sometimes 16K pulses per mile. If that is what the DD unit does, then Koso should be able to tell you if that would work or not.

More importantly, you'll need to confirm that you actually can use the DD sender to power more than one device (the engine ECU and the Koso itself). Many of the senders are designed with a specific impedance requirement, and splitting the signal may be a problem.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Well, I guess I'll cut into the harness and see if I can get it to work. The KOSO sensor has three wires. The KOSO manual calls the speed sensor an "active sensor", so I'm guessing it's powered. The three wires should be power, ground, and signal. If my logic is correct, I just need to connect the signal wire to the GPS unit. I should be able to figure out power and ground with my multi-meter, and the other wire would be signal.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Well, it worked. White signal wire connected to the Speed Output 1 on the DD unit.

Back