SPF GT40 New Owner Observations/Problems

I must be the wierd one of the bunch. I purposely put straight pipes on the car just to make it louder!! AC is good in the CAV. Butu fill in all the nooks and crannies and rain or shine she's good to go.

BTW, when in the rain, find an empty parking lot - "oh the fun when there's no sun" - by god!!
Glad to see there others out there who like a loud GT at times. When my roller arrives late this year I will have a pair of megaphone straight pipes to throw on for special occasions like the Woodward Dream Cruise, Cars and Coffee meets and others. I want our GT40 to be able to SHOUT!

Pretty hard to get a GT 40 water tight, it has some holes to fill. lol

I put 3,500 miles on my SPF GT40, and I learned a lot in those miles. I think the best advice I could give if you really want a trouble free car, is to take the car apart and rebuild it. You don't have to take the entire car apart, but I would rebuild all the suspension, shim the wheel bearings, install better shocks and springs, swap out all the switches, lights, gauges, and fuel senders.

My GT was built when there was supply chain issues, so maybe I did not get the typical spec parts. But I replaced several switches, gauges, lights, and fuel senders.
Good to know. As an example, my friend has been waiting years for GM to build his Z06 C8 he has ordered so I think the supply chain issues are still alive and well. Something I really don't understand...

Thanks Chuck, my SPF won't be delivered state side till 2025 but this will help me prepare!
Update I'm very excited about: Scott Holley, owner of the Superformance dealership (Holley Motorsports in IN) I ordered through, has given me his build spot for our 40! Roller should be completed (fingers crossed) later this summer in Sept., but that still means delivery next winter sometime...

Update I'm very excited about: Scott Holley, owner of the Superformance dealership (Holley Motorsports in IN) I ordered through, has given me his build spot for our 40! Roller should be completed (fingers crossed) later this summer in Sept., but that still means delivery next winter sometime...
I ordered my SPF MKII from Scott, also--he's been great to geek & deal with already. The first post in this thread isn't much of a confidence builder for Superformance shoppers, but some of the followup posts are.

I have a couple speedy things in the garage which I reckon are much more "comfortable" or "finished" than the GT40 showing up next year, so I'm not worried about that. I do wonder though how much of the concerns from an '08 recipient are still a thing for '25 recipients to have to sort ... and also whether or not they can just be addressed stateside while sorting engine, trans, and testing with someone.

I've got a year to figure it out, and hopefully the forums and folks like Scott won't mind helping with that. There's so much to consume here!

The first post in this thread isn't much of a confidence builder for Superformance shoppers, but some of the followup posts are.
Note that the first post is from 2008 and made by someone who became a Superformance dealer! Many improvements have been made to the chassis since then. Most all of the "issues" are addressed on threads here, some are very easy to rectify, others are do the use of the original 60's design. The wheel bearing setup is as FAV did it. Could it be better? Sure, but the intention is to replicate the chassis "as it was" so even the addition of air conditioning does not impact the structure, opening or other modification of note to the tub. As I have stated many times, "The good thing about these cars is they are built like the originals, the bad thing about these cars is they are built like the originals".

I ordered my SPF MKII from Scott, also--he's been great to geek & deal with already. The first post in this thread isn't much of a confidence builder for Superformance shoppers, but some of the followup posts are.

I have a couple speedy things in the garage which I reckon are much more "comfortable" or "finished" than the GT40 showing up next year, so I'm not worried about that. I do wonder though how much of the concerns from an '08 recipient are still a thing for '25 recipients to have to sort ... and also whether or not they can just be addressed stateside while sorting engine, trans, and testing with someone.

I've got a year to figure it out, and hopefully the forums and folks like Scott won't mind helping with that. There's so much to consume here!
Hi Don, I agree, Scott is a huge source of information and advice to get everything right on our GT40 order. He has gone above and beyond in helping me and putting up with all the millions of questions I threw at him. As a matter of fact Kath and I are driving down to Westfield this coming week to finally meet Scott face to face and finalize the options and features for my "Bucket List" car! Ours will be in the first Gulf Livery, the dark Blue and Orange livery as Scott's GT that he has since sold. I have decided to go with the Roush 427SR that was in Scott's 40, my only undecided is the number rondels. Scott had 4 but I think the car would look better with only 2, on the front and right rear quarter. I don't think I will option the front canards either. Here is a photo that will be very close to how ours will appear, just not sure of the door rondels. Stay tuned for more to come! Dave

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 5.41.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 5.41.02 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 143
I can tell you my experience with both Lance and Ashton at Hillbank during the order process and delivery was stellar. Tom Kirkham ( a dealer ) handled the full build and fabrication work and I could not be happier with the finished product.

Don, as posted my wife and I were at Scott's dealership the end of May. If your MKll is a year away have you seen the one Scott has on consignment in his showroom? Weather interested in it or not, it's fun to look at! I really tried, but the two photos kept attaching sideways and upside down. Maybe Brial can help! :) Dave.
20240530_111550.jpeg
92C3FDB8-B733-4CB8-B1D0-53018AEBC3EF.jpeg
C8251492-82B4-4A84-AEEA-F04F4FBC2445.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back