Steering column pinouts?

I think we need to rally for a working search function. All of these same questions will keep getting asked for years to come without it.

I'm not sure what you mean about the non-power column. There is the race column, which is just a rod, really. The two street columns that were shipped in the SLC are both power-assisted. The XLR has power tile and tele; the Olds column has power tele but not tilt (or is that backward? In any case, one of the functions is power-assisted, the other is manual.)

The original Cadillac XLR column is well documented. The newer column is from (I think) an Olds Aurora. I haven't seen anyone take this apart, but in either case, the provided harness should just connect up to the column in your car.

I've found that most wiring diagrams are available on the web. Here's a link that has the XLR column, as well as the Olds column diagrams: Search Wiring Diagrams

I think we need to rally for a working search function. All of these same questions will keep getting asked for years to come without it.

BTW, that is the purpose of the wiki.

Not to sound like a broken record, but there is a huge amount of data there- some of which links back to the appropriate gt40s.com threads.

URL is public.slc.wiki for those that need a reminder.

There is alot of info there, but 10x that amount hidden within build threads here along with many pictures too. The wiki gives really just one perspective of the build (each part of it), while forums give you many different ideas that others have done and you can choose which way is the best for yourself or budget. I have been through the entire wiki, and I was still left feeling the same way about the need for a search function here.
The broken record part will keep coming in time and time again because, well, newcomers in the years to come will keep asking the same questions. :) Usually every forum I am on, the main response to a repetitiously asked question is "use the search button". So the forum gets clogged with many of the same questions, that people are tired of answering.
I guess I don't see why it is off or not working as it should. It is our research and time as a community that goes into the content. It would save me and others countless hours over the course of a build to be able to access it easier.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Unfortunately those pin outs are for the first used XLR steering column. I started to collect the pin out charts for the newly supplied column but couldn't pinpoint exactly what car it was used in. If someone can determine the exact model it was installed in I'll post them up. When I looked at pictures of the newer column and compared them to ones pulled out of wrecked cars on EBay they didn't match up. I looked up 1998 to 2002 Olds Aurora.

I actually started a thread on this last year. (Page 7) it appeared that it was from a Olds Intrigue around 1998. I stopped searching due to lack of interest from anyone else. I have since purchased another XLR column for my next RCR car in the future. You can still find them on EBay occasionally. Apparently the C6 Corvette columns work too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean about the non-power column. There is the race column, which is just a rod, really. The two street columns that were shipped in the SLC are both power-assisted. The XLR has power tile and tele; the Olds column has power tele but not tilt (or is that backward? In any case, one of the functions is power-assisted, the other is manual.)

The original Cadillac XLR column is well documented. The newer column is from (I think) an Olds Aurora. I haven't seen anyone take this apart, but in either case, the provided harness should just connect up to the column in your car.

I've found that most wiring diagrams are available on the web. Here's a link that has the XLR column, as well as the Olds column diagrams: Search Wiring Diagrams

Unless mine can telescope without my knowing or has power that i'm completely unaware of...

Mine can tilt up and down and that's it.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
If you read post #8 Eric......those are not the pin outs for your column. They are for the previously used XLR column.

Back