Street & Track Transaxles!!!

Hello Everyone,

I am in the planning phases of a GT40 kit car. I am currently planning on running about 470hp and am neck-deep in the turbulent waters of picking a transaxle. What I am writing about I have found scattered comments throughout the forums but nothing dedicated like this post.

I would love to build a car that is a pleasure to drive to local cars and coffee and Sunday cruise ins, but also plenty strong to head to a weekend open track day... This desire to drive in both environments is potentially throwing a wrench in my plan to run a non-turbo Porsche 996 (G96/00 or G96/01). I asked around some places that I felt could share reliable opinions and unfortunately did not get decisive answers. A few guys said don't bother running the G96 on the track, and a few said it would work just fine. It may need serviced semi-often (once every few seasons), but it would work. The conflicting answers has led me to find more information, hence writing this post. I am bummed that the non turbo 996 is apparently not quite strong enough for the track as I loved the idea if the low cost, self-service-ability, and cable operated shifter.

I am aware of other options, the turbo 996, a GT2/GT3 996 box, the almighty 997 GT2 box, and the G50 box. All with their own pros and cons. Cost is (as always) a limiting factor here.

I am writing this post to now ask the community about your own personal experiences with a certain transaxle on the track.
  1. What do you run?
  2. How long have you been racing it?
  3. How has it held up?
  4. What would you recommend based on your own experience?
  5. Did you buy it used (like on ebay) or new?
I value your input even if you are not driving a gt40. If you rip a transaxle on a track, I'd love to hear from your own experiences good and bad. Hopefully lots of you guys run a non-turbo 996 box all day without issues lol!

Thanks,
Nick

Subscribed to this post. Im in same situation only im hearing transaxle length in the rcr kit is limited. Im thinking of the 930 short housing which i heard is very strong. 2nd option is g50/01 short housing. Also i hear LSD is good option to have in the gt40 with control.
Joe

Howard Jones

Supporter
Call California Motorsports: https://californiamotorsports.net/

They built my G50 for me and I run it in an SLC behind an SBC @ 450HP on R7 Hoosiers. Very good so far @ approx 2000-2500 track miles or so.
Really, call them they know exactly what you are asking and will give you a real-world honest answer.

My recommendation is a G50 Porsche built to suit with a TBD limited-slip like a Quaife. I would also recommend that whoever is going to do the rebuild of your chosen transaxle also source a rebuildable unit for you. If you bring them one that is in very bad shape it will be on you not them.

If you decide on a G50 I can send you my build sheet. The gear ratios I selected are perfect for a dual-use car. I would also add that the biggest mistake you can make is to put 450HP+ in a 2500 pound car and not put a limited-slip in the transaxle. My personal preference is a torque biasing type like a Quaife. Gear selection will make or break the enjoyability of the car. I changed 1st and 2nd to suit a V8 rev range and torque. Tell them Howard Jones sent you. I believe they keep build sheets on file and you can reference mine if you like.

They can source all types of Porsche transaxles. I highly recommend them.

Call Fran and ask if a standard length, fliped G50 is good on length for one of his GT40s. He'll know.

Last edited:
hi nick ich habe ein g50/00 standart getriebe in meiner lola eingebaut der motor hat 580 ps ich habe eine straßenzulassung und bin auch auf einer rennstrecke gefahren alles ohne probleme du machst dir zu viel sorgen um das getriebe das ist stabil genug um die kraft auszuhalten kaufe das billigste getriebe und steck dann geld in die überholung bau eine diff-sperre ein damit du nicht aus der kurve fliegst gru0 olf

Attachments

• IMG_4311.JPG
    IMG_4311.JPG
    436.8 KB · Views: 302
Call California Motorsports: https://californiamotorsports.net/

They built my G50 for me and I run it in an SLC behind an SBC @ 450HP on R7 Hoosiers. Very good so far @ approx 2000-2500 track miles or so.
Really, call them they know exactly what you are asking and will give you a real-world honest answer.

My recommendation is a G50 Porsche built to suit with a TBD limited-slip like a Quaife. I would also recommend that whoever is going to do the rebuild of your chosen transaxle also source a rebuildable unit for you. If you bring them one that is in very bad shape it will be on you not them.

If you decide on a G50 I can send you my build sheet. The gear ratios I selected are perfect for a dual-use car. I would also add that the biggest mistake you can make is to put 450HP+ in a 2500 pound car and not put a limited-slip in the transaxle. My personal preference is a torque biasing type like a Quaife. Gear selection will make or break the enjoyability of the car. I changed 1st and 2nd to suit a V8 rev range and torque. Tell them Howard Jones sent you. I believe they keep build sheets on file and you can reference mine if you like.

They can source all types of Porsche transaxles. I highly recommend them.

Call Fran and ask if a standard length, fliped G50 is good on length for one of his GT40s. He'll know.

Hey Howard,

Thanks for the information! I would actually be very interested in the gear ratios you have. I am concerned about drivability as well. Would you please share the build sheet? Please share enough info so I can compare final ratios with other types of transmissions should I decide on a different one.

Thanks,
Nick

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Just to add to Howard as my T70 ( RCR) runs similar power and tyres with a G50/52 standard ratios and LSD = a great starter combo
For race track abuse-would recommend Oil cooler, internal spray bar or any other oiling improvements
Our last race for the season was in 38°C for 20 min sessions and the trans was yelling "get me outa here"

Kyle

Supporter
I have a G96 behind a LS2 in a SLC, 500hp + crank at least. I plan to rip it until it blows chunks out the back. These transaxles are dirt cheap.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Nick, Heres what is in my G50

1st = 2.42, 2nd = 1.78, 3rd = 1.40, 4th =1.08, 5th = 0.86, final drive = 3.44

Rear tires are 345.30.19 @ 26.8 inches in diameter.

I'll find the actual build sheet and post it later after I copy it.

Back