Superlite GTA

Hoping RCR is getting a car ready to display at SEMA!

Here's a question, when the engine and tranny get moved from the front of the Eclipse to the mid/back of the Apex, do they get rotated 180 degrees or remain in the same orientation as original? It seems like this would affect how close the exhaust manifold sits to the cabin (hot?).

One Eclipse I had my eye on looks like it sold ('97 pretty much box stock, low miles, ~$5500 last I saw). Still looking and thinking whether I can really do this.

Exhaust temps shouldn't really be a problem. Just make sure you put some lava mat or something back there. Think about all the four cylinder cars (example: chevy LNF in the cobalt ss) that have the turbo, manifold, downpipe, etc right next to the firewall.

The Apex will not be at SEMA this year...we are away racing at the 13 Hr Enduarance event at VIR.

We will have a car at SEMA on the Forgestar booth though...

The Apex will not be at SEMA this year...we are away racing at the 13 Hr Enduarance event at VIR.

We will have a car at SEMA on the Forgestar booth though...

Wait what? I thought there was suppose to be an apex at sema, or was I wrong?

Ok sorry, I just read through the last 5 pages and there was nowhere where it said the apex will be at sema. My bad.

One thing I haven't seen talked about much is downforce? Was any preperation taken to keep the apex stable at high speed cornering or maybe room for a rear diffuser?

Iam sure RCR has thought of something would like to hear about it.

The rear end photos on Pg 25 seem like they could be a sort of street version diffuser, I guess depending on how it extends underneath.

I can't wait to see finished body parts and a built up car!

Still poking around for a good 95-99 DSM and/or a 6 bolt block/engine. They don't seem that easy to find online, but maybe I don't know where to look or online isn't the best way. Hoping to find one in CA so it's already registered here.

Edit: actually check out the blue rendering on the Superlite site, looks like diffuser exits?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm a 6 months lurker that decided to sign up. Can't wait to see this car in flesh (fiber glass...). I'm hesitating between the Apex and FFR 818. Both have pros and cons.

The biggest Apex pros (IMHO) are:

1. Design, it just looks very aggressive a more modern design vs the 818
2. It is a coupe with functional windows A/C…
3. RCR/Superlite Car reputation for delivering quality and easy to build products.

To me the only Apex con (also a pro #2) is the use of a 95-99 Mitsubishi platform.
You’re stuck using a 15 years old safety cell which avail will become more and more difficult to find as time passes (if you need to replace just a door after an small accident for ex.). I’m also assuming the bodywork will be more extensive than on a SLC since you have to epoxy body panel on top of doors for ex, it won’t come as a roller…

The most important 818 pros (IMHO) are:

1. Price
2. No bodywork required (still needs to be seen… I’m a bit skeptic on that one…)
3. A more refined and recent power train, I just like Subaru engine and their low CG
4. Shorter wheelbase (go kart feeling) and lower weight.

Anyways, I’m sure Fran will deliver an amazing product (based on everything else he has produced). I will continue to follow this project really closely (almost obsessively)
Cheers!

Your cons regarding the Apex are similar to mine and I'm finding as I look around at even acquiring a 95-99 donor, the right ones are hard to find already, let alone several years from now trying to find parts.

I've narrowed it down to:
- preferably '99 (newer overall and an improved 7 bolt?)
- preferably GS-T, but GS-X second choice
- box stock if possible, if modified, professionally done with documentation
- for me, California registered would help so I don't have a lot of stuff to figure out to get it legal/registered
- manual trans
- non-Spyder

As I search online, I find maybe one or two here and there, usually for lots of money!

Question for anyone, how hard is it to convert one with an auto to manual? Also how hard is it to convert a non-turbo to turbo? These could open up the number of possibilities a lot.

I know that CA is a different market from New England, but we have an abundance of DSMs. I would also recommend connecting with some local and national DSM clubs (like: DSMtuners)

I realize that details are somewhat limited, but if you can use a non-turbo car for your shell, that opens up a LOT of potential donors for not much money!

I am in a process of converting a convertible Spyder Eclipse from FWD auto to AWD 5sp and can attest that auto to 5sp portion of this swap is rather trivial. I will say this much, right now I would kill for a clean AWD rear end assembly! That is something that Apex builders who used GSX will be discarding, so 6-12 months from now, there should be plenty of these frames hitting the market ;)

Also, do not get hung-up on getting 98/99 three piece thrust bearing design, they are NOT a crank walk cure!

Last edited:
Leon, thanks for the info on the 98/99 improvements. It sounds like it's still a matter of build up the 2g and hope it works fine, or find a 6 bolt and swap it in. There doesn't seem to be a clear answer on crankwalk, just a lot of arguments. Some seem to say if it's built well, no issues. Others say ticking time bomb no matter what.

For me, the 818 isn't an option - lack of a roof means it's fair weather only and needs to be parked somewhere out of the elements, which I don't have (can't ditch the pool table, brewing equipment, and other toys taking up the garage). I'm also not a fan of the look, though it appears nicer in actual photos than in the computer renderings. Also not a big fan of it being all tube frame and recycled parts. I think that's a big appeal of what RCR does - new parts, semi-monocoque, and so on.

Still curious about turning a non-turbo into turbo as there are a lot of donors around that are not. Sounds like at least going from auto to 5spd is no biggie and that helps!

As someone whose seen an 818 in the flesh (SEMA), there's a reason why it's $9900. I'll leave it at that.

I'm sure you can give honest details on your assestment without being too bias...

In the end, I will need to see both of them in flesh to really make my mind.

It might end up being a no-brainer a la SLC vs GTM (with the SLC being the obvious choice IMHO) time will tell...

Last edited:
On another note, I wonder how much a full steel frame Apex would cost (same ext. design but without the donor req., delivered as a roller) 25K$..30k$ ?? Finish target price of 40k-50k$??

Maybe (probably?) it wouldn’t make any sense financially because you would get too close to the finish price of an SLC (75k$ +)

I wrote about the 818 on another site (exocars). Here's the short version.

FFR makes a design contest.
Dozens of excellent designs pour in.
Voting shows that people want the "good" designs.
FFR slaps everyone in the face and uses their own design.
Car finally debuts at SEMA and it's a yawner.

Good things about it?
Cheap (in a good way=$$$), single donor, spec race series (possibly????)

The bad?
Cheap (in a BAD way!!!), boring design, horrifyingly ugly interior (door panels), not designed for anyone over 6'1" (from the seat to pedals distance), exterior fit and finish

The ugly????
High school frame design, heinous gaps between the door and dash, floating mirrors, lack of weather protection, it just looks cheap (vent mesh, body design, GIANT headlights, tiny tail lights),

It's like a freshman year design submission. Pathetic. The front doesn't match the back. It's virtually two different cars.

This is the PG rated review....

Back