Superlite GTA

Edit - I even talked to the boss about whether I'm being realistic about this. Undecided at the moment, but have to paint the house first. . .

My boss is often too supportive. She encourages me to do the things I enjoy which unfortunately usually eats money.

Jeff-

The best way to prepare for this project would be to buy a GSX or GST and learn how to tune it (pretty easy with DSM link). I can see this project being easier if you have general DSM knowledge. And what better way to learn a car, than to start driving/tuning it?

I am sure some DSMers will be pissed that nice cars being destroyed to make GTA's, but that is tough... You buy it, you do what you want with it! :)

That's pretty funny. I was thinking about that as I saw some potential donors that are fairly tricked out. I could picture someone selling you their baby and then you saw off the front and back!

Spent time last night reading up on CA registration process. Sounds easier if it is still a roadworthy Eclipse and just leave it titled that way. I guess though that you'd have to get insurance to agree on the value to insure it though. It'd have to keep the smog equipment from the donor year too.

Pretty much everything you find now will be tricked out! Very few "civilians" own these cars anymore. Plus, they weren't all that great in stock, 205hp form... The beauty of 4G63 is how much power can be made with minimal effort. So no one kept them stock for long ;)

But that is OK, just make sure that your shell is solid, everything else can be aquired at relatively low cost.

It seems like things are getting more complicated as I dig into this:

1. Get 95-99 Eclipse, probably fully running since it's easier to register. Pick one with decent interior and update/upgrade things as needed. (online seems to run $4K or more)
2. Ditch 7 bolt from said car.
3. Find 6 bolt to replace it, these seem hard to find but I'm probably not looking in the right places?
4. Rebuild 6 bolt since it's 20 years old, or more.
5. Since 6 bolt is being rebuilt, might as well put in some new/performance parts - costs go up.
6. Figure out what tranny to use with newly built motor - original from Eclipse, rebuilt from a 6 bolt car? Something else?
7. Order SL Apex and go through the build process.

Maybe this is just the way building a kit car goes and I'm just new to that thought process? There doesn't seem to be a way to really keep it cheap and easy.

Maybe this is just the way building a kit car goes and I'm just new to that thought process? There doesn't seem to be a way to really keep it cheap and easy.

Yes there is. Skip 2 through 6. (Then build the drivetrain later.)

Yes there is. Skip 2 through 6. (Then build the drivetrain later.)

Agreed. Many people get caught up into shipwrights disease you pull one thing off to fix and then think hey I should strip and repaint what it's mounted to and then it just compounds. You see it in the Factory Five ranks a lot some people do a complete donor build or look for deals on used parts and others purchase every new go fast part there is. As a result you end up with some people on the road for under $30K and others that have $75K invested. Build what you will enjoy and forget what others think; you will go broke chasing other peoples ideals. Just my two cents

Good points but I was assuming based on what's been said in this thread that the 7 bolt is not worth dealing with. If I got one on the newer end, it's still 14 yrs old or so. It sound like that's a crankwalk bomb waiting to go off?

I don't have an exact requirement, but based on the weight estimates it seems like 400 or so would be "fun".

400hp/2500lb car (conservative?) = 0.16 power/weight

Vette Z06 505/3175 = 0.159
Ferrari 458 562/3450 = 0.162
Porsche 911 Turbo S = 530/3461 = 0.153

So 0.16 would be pretty amazing I would guess.

I'm not clear if it's safe/good/reliable to go to 400hp with a 95-99 7 bolt and stock tranny? Trying to quantify what my $$$ could be based on whether I could use the existing combo in the donor or have to ditch it for a 6 bolt and full rebuild + upgraded trans of some kind.

Everything is relative - Any build it yourself is going to be harder than beefing up a 'production' car with bolt on parts. The reward is very few people will be driving your car. It's not for everyone, and that is one of the things that make these things attractive to some of us.

I could have bought any number of high end cars with the money but....so what? It would not have been MY car in the end.

400hp/2500lb car (conservative?) = 0.16 power/weight

I dont no about conservative, i had 300hp in a 500kg Lotus seven type car and it was insane. definitly not for the feint hearted, and almost undriveable on the street.

john

It is amazing that the metal detector now owns the waterproof function, if so it can be used under the water without causing harm to the detector itself and the sensitivity will not be affected. So it is really a wonderful device as it can be used both on the land and under the water to help you during the road of hunting for treasure.

Yeah, I was referring to the weight estimate being conservative. Earlier in this thread, I think 2300lb was discussed as an estimate.

That's why I compared the hp/lb of those other cars. If it's in the same range as a Z06 or 458, I don't think it'll be a slouch!

I'm still kicking this around. I'm comfortable with certain aspects, but not others. Never done extensive engine work myself, so when people talk about issues with the 7 bolt, it makes me nervous that I'd get everything put together and working, then have to tear it all down to rebuild.

I'm interested in this project. This thread has a lot of noise though. Once the product is available for purchase, then that is the time to discuss specifics. Debating what the specifics are/might be just adds more questions and distracts from the passion we all share which is to own/build something that the average person does not have. Looking forward to the final production product release to decide which Superlite car I will build.

Back