Superlite GTA

TBH too busy with race cars at the moment to do much more with the Apex...once October is over life will return to the level of crazy we call normal

Anyone has a solution for getting a nice and modern instrument cluster. The mechanical odometer is what turns me off.

Do some youtube searches on NVIDIA UI Composer Studio. You can basically design whatever you want.

This should give you an idea of how it works - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANIx0fUners]NVIDIA UI Composer Studio - Part 1 Introduction - YouTube[/ame]

Here is what's possible - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxQnw0ntebY]NVIDIA instrument cluster - YouTube[/ame]

This is exactly what I have in mind. My plan is to use two Nexus 7's. One for the dash gauge cluster (fiberglassed in) and the other to replace the OEM stereo and HVAC controls. Not only can you create gauges, but you can also do infotainment user interfaces as well. Couple this with some arduino boards, servos, and temp sensors and you've got yourself auto/digital HVAC control.

Best of all, the software cost is $0. Blender which is open source and Composer Studio is free after creating an NVIDIA account.

Do some youtube searches on NVIDIA UI Composer Studio. You can basically design whatever you want.

This should give you an idea of how it works -
This is exactly what I have in mind. My plan is to use two Nexus 7's. One for the dash gauge cluster (fiberglassed in) and the other to replace the OEM stereo and HVAC controls. Not only can you create gauges, but you can also do infotainment user interfaces as well. Couple this with some arduino boards, servos, and temp sensors and you've got yourself auto/digital HVAC control.

Best of all, the software cost is $0. Blender which is open source and Composer Studio is free after creating an NVIDIA account.
That's awesome! What's a rough estimate of cost for doing this for guages but not HVAC/stereo?

I just do not know enough about electronics to know what kinds of sensors, etc are needed to relay fuel, oil, speedo, etc readings to the software.

Jason how are people getting the ecu inputs? Id imagine its through bluetooth obd ii interfaces. Right? But how fast are those refresh rates?

Jason how are people getting the ecu inputs? Id imagine its through bluetooth obd ii interfaces. Right? But how fast are those refresh rates?

I had planned on splitting close to the OBD port. If you stay away from bluetooth and use hard wire the whole way, I think there is plenty of speed. An arduino board used to translate won't have any appreciable slow down.

Jason, having both degrees in programming and 3D Modeling/Animation this really intrigues me. I was wondering you you already have an account with Nvidia set up and if so where do you sign up at? From what I've found it looks like you have to be accepted into the development team right now and wasn't sure they were allowing hobbyist in yet.

EDIT: Nevermind I found the link to create an account like Jason said. Looks like I have a winter project after all :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jason, having both degrees in programming and 3D Modeling/Animation this really intrigues me. I was wondering you you already have an account with Nvidia set up and if so where do you sign up at? From what I've found it looks like you have to be accepted into the development team right now and wasn't sure they were allowing hobbyist in yet.

EDIT: Nevermind I found the link to create an account like Jason said. Looks like I have a winter project after all :thumbsup:

please for the love of god, post a summary of links on how to do this. I work in the computer field and I would love to read how to do this to a car and what it takes to do it. please share. so many toys to play with.

Doug, I plan on diving into it this weekend to see what I can come up with. So far from the looks of it it plays alot like After Effects with it's layer based system. It allows you to create 3D Elements and import them into the Studio and manipulate them. What I want to try and figure out is how feasible it is to actually control stuff in the car with the infotainment system. And how you can get inputs from Canbus, GPS, Stereo and such. I'll post up what I find.

Doug, I plan on diving into it this weekend to see what I can come up with. So far from the looks of it it plays alot like After Effects with it's layer based system. It allows you to create 3D Elements and import them into the Studio and manipulate them. What I want to try and figure out is how feasible it is to actually control stuff in the car with the infotainment system. And how you can get inputs from Canbus, GPS, Stereo and such. I'll post up what I find.

Kris,
Cool thanks, keep me\us posted.
I hope someone could map out what is needed and how to do it.
What you need to buy (iPad, surface, laptop, etc)
Communication devises, wiring, sensors, etc
Direction or steps on how to do it.
Download the app\software and install it.
At some point I will research it, i just have too many things going on and don't have the bandwidth to do it at this time.

All the OBD2 gauges showing RPM's I've seen have had serious lag...fun but not a replacement in my opinion. Will be interested to see how this turns out. Definitely considering the nexus 7 for infotainment though.

I would honestly probably skip the Nexus 7 and go with one of the toradex colibri units. And just feed the Canbus straight in. Plus alot more versatile then the tablet.

Let me get something right. So there is no advantage to buying an MT equipped eclipse over an AT eclipse? You don't use the pedals or anything? Harness? Cluster?

Mr. Wolfe

Hey Fran what's the shop schedule like on Saturdays?? I would love to come up and check out all the cars you offer, but especially the apex as a street car and either a slc or lmp1 as a track car.

Back