Superlite GTA

Sorry guys, I didn’t mean to start Apex vs 818 discussion. My only point was co-worker’s approach to driving his WRX and get familiar with the Subarus, as he knew nothing about them before. I highly recommend that people not familiar with DSMs do the same!

How does he like it? I am sure he loves it, or he wouldn’t have bought it! ;) But he is many months away from completing it.

Being a Mitsu guy, I can’t stand Subarus, so 818 is a non-starter for me…

Fran can you post an update or new pictures of the Apex for my Bday (just turned 30 years young :shy:) and/or as a Xmas/Holiday present for everyone following the APEX development...

Anything will do... A sneak peak of the frame...your new suspension set up using the corvette stuff...

Cheers and Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! So who has road raced/tracked a turbo car before? I haven't and am curious how much it affects how you attack the track. I'm planning on between 400 and 500 rwhp and going with the hx35 turbo which has pretty decent spool characteristics. However, I imagine that the turbo kicking in at 4000 rpm midway through a corner takes some getting used to. Thoughts?

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! So who has road raced/tracked a turbo car before? I haven't and am curious how much it affects how you attack the track. I'm planning on between 400 and 500 rwhp and going with the hx35 turbo which has pretty decent spool characteristics. However, I imagine that the turbo kicking in at 4000 rpm midway through a corner takes some getting used to. Thoughts?
Alright, so I think I figured it out. DSM link allows for boost by gear or RPM which should allow for a bit quicker spooling and limiting boost at different points especially in 1st and 2nd gear to reduce/eliminate wheel spin. That combined with an LSD should be a solid setup for the track.

Anyone do any further invesigation on the digital gauges?

Matt,

I ended up not having the spare time I expected so I am out of the digital gauge project until I get back from overseas.

I also want to see the finished car before I spend any more time or money. This project has so much potential but I don't think it is getting the attention like the other Superlite projects. The LMP looks to be their top priority for now.

The Apex gets worked on all the time...just like all of our other new models being developed.....it takes OEM's 3-5 years to bring a new model to market after the prototype has been shown as a show car...so we have plenty of time left in hand...wink

Alright, so I think I figured it out. DSM link allows for boost by gear or RPM which should allow for a bit quicker spooling and limiting boost at different points especially in 1st and 2nd gear to reduce/eliminate wheel spin. That combined with an LSD should be a solid setup for the track.

Anyone do any further invesigation on the digital gauges?

Electronic boost controllers can be better at limiting the boost by ether avoiding a boost spike or keeping it down in lower gears, but they will not make it spool any faster. ECU can do "antilag", but I would only do than with a ball bearing turbo.

I have lots of racing experience with a turbo, but it is all in AWD platform, so can't really predict how it will behave with RWD. Needless to say, BIG rear tires (305+) and LSD are a must!

Electronic boost controllers can be better at limiting the boost by ether avoiding a boost spike or keeping it down in lower gears, but they will not make it spool any faster. ECU can do "antilag", but I would only do than with a ball bearing turbo.

I have lots of racing experience with a turbo, but it is all in AWD platform, so can't really predict how it will behave with RWD. Needless to say, BIG rear tires (305+) and LSD are a must!
Cool, thanks! So just to clarify... you are saying that an ebc does not cause a turbo to spool any faster but that an ebc (which DSM link is capable of doing) is an effective method to limit boost and thus, limit wheels spin in lower gears. Right?

Thanks for the clarification! I thought I read about faster spooling but honestly didn't think too much into it since I was more concerned with limiting boost in 1st and 2nd to reduce wheel spin.

Cool, thanks! So just to clarify... you are saying that an ebc does not cause a turbo to spool any faster but that an ebc (which DSM link is capable of doing) is an effective method to limit boost and thus, limit wheels spin in lower gears. Right?

Thanks for the clarification! I thought I read about faster spooling but honestly didn't think too much into it since I was more concerned with limiting boost in 1st and 2nd to reduce wheel spin.

Actually, and EBC can help you boost a little sooner. Here is how, with a mechanical boost controller, once you start building up boost (say your desired is 16psi), the valve starts to open (before the desired boost pressure, say around 8-10psi), this bleeding causes the WGA to start to open, which in turn bypasses some of the exhaust pressure that would otherwise be used to spool the turbine.

The EBC will stay fully closed until you hit the exact boost you have it set at. So there is no bleeding of air beforehand. So all the exhaust is available to go past the turbine. The WGA does not start to open until you hit your desired boost.

How much of a difference, it's up for debate. However, with a good EBC will control your boost spikes and keep your boost level. With a MBC, it's more set and monitor, there is no way for it to regulate the boost except with the spring pressure.

Also and EBC allows you to change your boost on the fly, where an MBC, you have to pop the hood.

Also, another good thing is to have your boost controller as close to the turbo as possible for the quickest response.

Last edited:
I am glad you pointed out that such gains are debatable. Anyone who goes for electronic BC for this reason will be disappointed.

This is very much a personal preference, but found that GOOD manual boost controller more reliable than electronic counterpart. Companies like Halman Boost Controller, sell a mechanical controllers with a cable remote control. Though, I rarely find use for it.

Even people who live by EBC usually keep a good MBC on hand for troubleshooting.

Correct, unless you antilag (which Link can do), you will not spool any faster.

Just remember, anti-lag is like meth for your turbo. Yes, it will spool up fast, but it will decrease the life of your turbo A LOT!!!

As for a MBC, I made my own from parts at home depot for $10 (years ago), used it in conjunction with the boost control solenoid on the stock SR20, so I had a HIGH and LOW boost setting. It actually worked quite well, held boost pretty solid. I've since put about 100k miles on it at around 14psi (7psi stock), and the engine runs great, and the spark plugs are always a nice shade of brown when I change them with no little silver spots (no or little detonation).

Last edited:
The Apex gets worked on all the time...just like all of our other new models being developed.....it takes OEM's 3-5 years to bring a new model to market after the prototype has been shown as a show car...so we have plenty of time left in hand...wink

So is this your way of saying that the Apex won't be making it to production anytime soon?

Is there any chance of a 2014 release? I am super eager to make one of these my next ride.

A few interesting Easter eggs in those pics:

-Venom truck, which is beautiful! But where's the suspension???
-Jaguar E type on the rack.
-Corvette A Arm in the third pic.
-The yellow 917 is a beauty!

Back