Superlite GTA

DSM guys, why do drag eclipses/talons not often compete as cars for standing mile events? They seem like they'd do quite well.

DSM guys, why do drag eclipses/talons not often compete as cars for standing mile events? They seem like they'd do quite well.

Safety requirements is one MAJOR factor! Many of us have enough safety equipment to do 8.50-9.99. But that is only good enough for around 160mph at standing mile events :(. My close friend did 208mph in his 9.6 second Talon. That was his one and only pass, because he got kicked out...

So we ether have to build a special race car for this type of racing or do single run and get kicked out.

Regular drag racing is just easier! Plus, AWD launches are more beneficial on a 1/4 mile track!

Safety requirements is one MAJOR factor! Many of us have enough safety equipment to do 8.50-9.99. But that is only good enough for around 160mph at standing mile events :(. My close friend did 208mph in his 9.6 second Talon. That was his one and only pass, because he got kicked out...

So we ether have to build a special race car for this type of racing or do single run and get kicked out.

Regular drag racing is just easier! Plus, AWD launches are more beneficial on a 1/4 mile track!
Cool, thanks for the response. Looks like for the texas mile, a 4 point cage, 5 point harnesses, a 2lb fire extinguisher, and some specific clothing/helmet are pretty much all that is required for 190+. What kind of cages do you all usually run?

Also, is your friend who ran a 208 running a beefed up stock box with an evoiii fifth gear, stock fifth gear, or a race trans with different gearing?

Roof rails is the worst thing, but there are other differences. Also he ran 1.5 mile event in Maine, which might have different rules from TX mile.

He used a stock AWD 5th gear and reved it to 9500rpm.

There is one DSMer who did lots of TX mile racing in EVO1 (or 2 or 3), look up Mike Reichen on YouTube ;)

Roof rails is the worst thing, but there are other differences. Also he ran 1.5 mile event in Maine, which might have different rules from TX mile.

He used a stock AWD 5th gear and reved it to 9500rpm.

There is one DSMer who did lots of TX mile racing in EVO1 (or 2 or 3), look up Mike Reichen on YouTube ;)
I'm assuming your friend competed in the Loring, Maine event. Bill Warner passed away after a crash in the 1.5 mile event this past summer. I can no longer find any webpage for the event and the Mojave Mile is not offering a 1.5 mile event this year. I have a feeling that there is great concern about the safety of events longer than 1 mile and they may be absent for a while. Driving 200+ is on my bucket list. Accepting the risk, the 1.5 mile event seems like my best shot so I hope they bring it back.

Thanks for the info and I'll look up Mike Reichen.

Fran,

For those who are looking at potential donors, how much of the OEM brackets and such would we need from the turbo version 2G vs the NA version? I suspect several people will try using the naturally aspirated version if that's feasible.

Any word on when the website will open?

Any idea when the next big update will be?? I really want to see the subframes on this car!! I stayed away for awhile hoping I will find an update soon haha, maybe next time I come back we can see what is hiding under that badass body!

Justin,

the subframes will be pictured attached to the chassis..the rear is actually much more than a subframe as its the whole rear half of the chassis (we wouldn't want anyone trying to replicate them in chromoly by a buddy...wink.)

Justin,

the subframes will be pictured attached to the chassis..the rear is actually much more than a subframe as its the whole rear half of the chassis (we wouldn't want anyone trying to replicate them in chromoly by a buddy...wink.)

haha I see what you did there! Yeah I know the rear is hardcore considering what is involved.

Hey Fran what material are the subframes made from?? I'm thinking it was posted in the thread somewhere but I couldn't find it. Is it made from mild steel?

You guys know that Fran will not put something out until it has passed his strict standards. Just look at any of his other offerings and think about the QC that goes into them. He is growing in a market that is flat or shrinking (recent post by one of his competitors in another thread about them not selling as many cars so the raised their price which makes no sense but hey it's their company so whatever). Give the guy all the time he needs so that when it comes to market it will be more than any of us dreamed it would be.

Back