Superlite GTA

I'm needing an update too. I'm starting to wander...:shifty: I've been looking at the Smyth VW based kit lately. Same idea as the Apex, but with a Golf or Jetta. It even has the same Celica headlights too. I'm really liking the idea of a turbo VW VR6 engine or the turbo diesel. The looks of the Smyth G3F are superior to the RCR 818, IMHO. I just don't think the handling would be better than the 818 and probably not better than the Apex.

Patiently waiting for news...OK, maybe not so patiently. :)

The problem is (in my opinion) is that the Apex would be superior in almost every measurable way. For me personally, I am trying to decide between the apex and buying a new or newer car.

Mr. Wolfe

The problem is (in my opinion) is that the Apex would be superior in almost every measurable way. For me personally, I am trying to decide between the apex and buying a new or newer car.

Mr. Wolfe

Same here, apex, hardtop s2000, scion frs.... All are really light and the s2000 and frs have or will have kits to swap a lsx or 2jz into.. I just really love the looks of the apex and the engine being in back for traction!

Mr. Wolfe
I completely agree. The Smyth car isn't attractive IMO, and without knowing much about VWs, I can't speak for it's drivetrain. The 818 looks ok from afar but we all know the quality of it when you get closer. I also prefer the mits drivetrain of the Apex to the subie and there's no way that the 818 will be close to watertight with it's soft top (not sure if they claim it to be but I don't want to worry about the weather). Without having seen it, I already trust Fran's chassis/subframe work, the suspension, etc. For me, it's going to come down to the looks. I can't get a great sense of the body from the pics. Judging by his other creations, I'm sure it'll look great though! The apex seems like it'll be the clear winner but I am deciding between the apex and an ls376 951 widebody track/street monster :evil:

Same here, apex, hardtop s2000, scion frs.... All are really light and the s2000 and frs have or will have kits to swap a lsx or 2jz into.. I just really love the looks of the apex and the engine being in back for traction!

The LS in an FR-S has been done at least a couple of times already. I don't know about 2jz. I like it quite a lot with the FA20 though and I don't find it underpowered like people gripe about. I think a fair number of them want to stop light race against Mustangs, Camaros, and so on. It's just not what the car was made for.

The LS in an FR-S has been done at least a couple of times already. I don't know about 2jz. I like it quite a lot with the FA20 though and I don't find it underpowered like people gripe about. I think a fair number of them want to stop light race against Mustangs, Camaros, and so on. It's just not what the car was made for.

World Fastest Toyota GT 86-2JZ Runs 9.1 @ 256 KM/H Built By EKanooRacing - YouTube

I hope that works... Car is like a new supra with the 2jz but like you said, it's not made for that. Some frs owners don't like the swap but they use the car for road racing and autocross event, that's where the car shines. I'm building dorm thing that is going to be a street car 95% of the time so a 2jz or lsx makes sense to me.

Yes it does! I love how it sounds, would fit the slc or apex nicely. I am curious to know the actual engine bay size on the apex!

I don't think I've seen a 2JZ's in a transverse engine car...regardless Fran already said a 2JZ will not fit in the Apex. I'm sure would be no problem in the SLC.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Actually, I believe the 2JZ is too long to fit in the SLC. The LS engines barely fit as is.

Fran told me the BB Chev 572 fits in an SL-C. I can't imagine why a Toyo 3.0L wouldn't...but then, I've never seen the 'bulk' of one outside the car either.
:chug:

I don't think I've seen a 2JZ's in a transverse engine car...regardless Fran already said a 2JZ will not fit in the Apex. I'm sure would be no problem in the SLC.

Yeah I don't think I have either, that's why I thought it would be cool to do in an apex. I already have a 6 speed trans from a 3000gt vr4 sitting in my shop so that was my thinking for using a 2jz or a stroker from a 3000gt. Without deminsons though we are all just pissing in the wind about what will fit.

World Fastest Toyota GT 86-2JZ Runs 9.1 @ 256 KM/H Built By EKanooRacing - YouTube

I hope that works... Car is like a new supra with the 2jz but like you said, it's not made for that. Some frs owners don't like the swap but they use the car for road racing and autocross event, that's where the car shines. I'm building dorm thing that is going to be a street car 95% of the time so a 2jz or lsx makes sense to me.

I forgot about that Ekanoo car. It does sound nice.

Drag racing is so uninteresting to me though. Taking turns at high speed, now that's fun! (Hence my FR-S w/ 245 Pilot Sports)

Someone asked on FB fairly recently and the response was that it's in its beta build. That's nothing that we didn't already know though. It's definitely not being scrapped but I'm truly surprised it's not available yet.

Someone asked on FB fairly recently and the response was that it's in its beta build. That's nothing that we didn't already know though. It's definitely not being scrapped but I'm truly surprised it's not available yet.

I'm not as surprised about it not being available yet, it's the lack of information and photos without the body on that's bugging me. We have no idea what it looks like under the body, and we have no idea what the engine compartment deminsons are. I'm trying to be patient but I'm losing interest with the amount of time between updates being so long.

Somewhere in this long thread, I think it was mentioned there would be construction videos to go along with the construction manual. Doing quality videos takes quite a bit of effort and time, not to mention cost. A vacuum of information invites speculation, it seems.

I've been looking at quite a few other kits, as well as cars I can just get in and drive, the same as others. I"ve been looking at buying a 2G Eclipse and having my way with it while waiting, or going an entirely different direction all together. With my luck, the day after I buy something else, Superlite will release the Apex and there it will be in all it's astounding glory, saying, "You shoulda had some patience."

Back