Superlite GTA

Fran, Have you re-weighed this package with the V8 setup with cage? I'm sortof in the part accumulation phase and looking at coilovers. It would be somewhat helpful to know distribution and overall weight. If not any suggestions for spring rates front to rear keeping in mind it will see some track and I don't want a touring car?

I've decided to go with ridetech, decent shock (fox) and spring (hyper), at a good price and I've heard good service....unless anyone wants to dissuade me.

My Second choice is LG G2 (not GT2 - chinese made) similarly setup shock (bilstein) and spring (hyper). Slightly more expensive and lacks the adjustability of the ridetech. I'd say this a more track focused coilover.

Last edited:
Depending on various unknowns that I'm estimating (spring angle, ride height..) I'm coming up with about 650/800.

Motion ratio I'm using is F-.625 R-.611
Unsprung weight 75/80
Corner weight 630/770

Probably drop that to 600/750 both at 7".

Last edited:
I've been looking over a lot of the SLC build logs for ideas and what to expect for my build. As I look and compare the two cars I can see how the APEX could pose some challenges that the SLC does not. Mainly what I've been looking at is the start of the build. Suspension shouldn't be an issue on either build. Brake lines and cooling lines are included with the SLC and besides being preformed they have relatively straight and unobstructed runs and are being mounted to square tubing and flat sheet metal. Where as the APEX I'm assuming does not come with anything so most if not all brake/cooling lines need to be made/flared and will have to be maneuvered around OEM tunnel. Not a big deal, I expected that. I hadn't thought to much about the fixtures in/around the engine compartment you're dealing with round tubing and no flat panels. As I started to think about it I just have no idea how things like the fueling system are going to get plumbed/attached. Is it likely we will need to weld in sheet metal to have a clean install? Should be considered if anybody is thinking about powder coating frame first. Maybe a picture or two on how this is done will set my mind at ease.

Look at the number of things attached to the frame in a typical build.
IMG_0691.jpg

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I bought a used gearbox on DC Automotive, while Rex was nice it took several weeks to try and get shipping quotes and in the end the box was not as advertised (with a limited slip). Not a great experience and I had to cancel my order.

I just worked with Eric Johnson through The Race Line, to put together a gearbox package with a New G96 box. He's extremely knowledgeable and gave me a great deal. He may have one or two more of these new boxes if anyone is interested I recommend giving him a call.

I'm just excited that you are preparing to build one and aren't too far from me. I may have to make a trek south to check it out at some point if you don't mind.

I'm really surprised that Steve hasn't posted any pics of his Apex yet. Sounded like he's had it several weeks now. I hope everything is okay with his build. Guess I'm going to have to wait for mine to show up.

How come there isn't a section on the apex on the superior website with all the info like the other cars? Or am I just not finding it?

Anyone seeing posts from builders of the Apex, even in a private or personal Facebook or blog? It seems this has been forgotten about in this forum. I would love to read about how everyone's builds are going, good, bad, indifferent. Please post builders!

-George

Since there has not been much discussion lately about the Apex I will pick it up and run with it.

We picked up an Apex (V8 with recommended cage) from Fran last Wednesday morning and we will be posting the build along with pictures as we proceed. Once the body was gutted of interior, suspension, exhaust and running gear, it took only 5 hours to remove the unused portions of the car (the rear clip, the front portion of the inner fenders and core support and roof panel) per the instructions and trial fit the rear frame onto the body. I will try to post pictures later this week.

The powertrain will consists of an LS3 bolted to a Porsche G96 transaxle, Driveshaft Shop axles, C5 suspension, brakes and steering. It should make for one interesting ride.

Congratulations on the Purchase "R Martin"... can you share any information about attaching the rear cage? did it involve welding or was it a bolt on affair?

The rear frame and roll bar are both bolt in items. The front frame section is also a bolt in design. They are located using existing bolt and stud locations. You will need to drill a few holes to bolt in the rear frame assembly and the front frame section and also the front lower cage members. Another very well thought out design from Fran Hall. The design is very robust and should make for an outstanding street/track car.

This will give you an idea of what needs to be removed from the Eclipse during the tear down process. Superlite Cars includes a guide on exactly where you need to make the cuts. Important! Be sure to properly support the Eclipse body.

Last edited:

Keith

This will give you an idea of what needs to be removed from the Eclipse during the tear down process. Superlite Cars includes a guide on exactly where you need to make the cuts. Important! Be sure to properly support the Eclipse body.

Hi there 'R', the link appears to be invalid mate....

Edit: OK link gone!

To make the process go much smoother, remove all brakes, ac lines and wiring before the build begins. This includes the shifter, e-brake handle assembly, interior, body computer and even the instrument panel.

Back