Suspension Joints, metallic or rubber?

Howard Jones

Supporter
I run my GT40 on track with Z rated summer only street tires. 245.40.17 and 315.35.17. I start them cold at 26F 27R they heat up to 30/30. Then I usually bleed off a pound and run them the rest of the day @ 29 F & R.

Really hot days I will still bleed down to 29 but they have pumped up as much as 4.5 PSI with track temps of 155F on a 107F air temp day. On a cold day it takes a bit longer but they usually still pump up 3 psi. Cold day = Air temp < 58F and track temp < 90F.

Thanks Guys. You all really "bit" on my metallic vs rubber suspension joint queary!! I should have expanded my question a little better , but I believe you guys pretty much blanketed the topic anyhow. Great stuff! Great web site! Actually, I am not so concerned about ride as I am concerned about maintainance. Replacing joints and re-doing all that wheel alighnment stuff kinda stresses me, but I'll have to go with all your valued advice. From your replies, Im planning to use quality rose end joints(shielded), and lube them every now and then with moly spray. I like the idea of 17" tires, probably because of the looks and hope they keep making them. I see them as a compromise between 15" and the new "stagecoach" wheels. Can,t imagine how todays car makers maintain ride quality with the flood of 18, 19 and 20 inch tires. I agree, attention to tire pressure greatly affects ride quality. Found this out on our Ford pickup. Tire shops like to fill to pressures marked on the tire, 65 pounds in this instance, which caused the vehicle to ride like a buckboard. Gradually dropping the pressure down to 48 pounds, the pickup now rides like a Lincoln. Really didn't notice a loss in milage either. I like Fran's idea of rubber for the shock ends. Ranger Jim

Back