T70 MkII Engine Mounts

Would anyone be able to help out with some photo's of original T70 MkII Spyder engine mounts.
My only reference has had the backend completely changed, including a longer wheelbase.

Attachments

• Various 053.jpg
    Various 053.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 660
I can help you with that. The chevy and the Ford are a little different.
I will take a picture of the mounts, store it a nd post it.

Thanks Johan, much appreciated.

Pretty happy with the way the tub has turned out to date. I'll post some pics once the front end is back on. Needed a minor rework to get it spot on.

I looked through several shelves of parts last night. I know I have a set of Chevy T70 MK II mounts. You want to see what the original mounts themselves look like , right ? You know how they fit on the car ?

Johan,
I have seen the engine mounts on the Spyder that was rebodied as a coupe with the hot road paint job. I think the photo's were on this website several years back.
The only local car here in Aus has had the back end redesigned. Longer wheelbase and the engine is set back further in the tub.
I think the mounts are a simple sheet metal fabrication (pyramid shape). I am a little concerned the gearbox and block in our car is a little too low and a good photo will tell me what height the engine should be sitting at.
Regards
Mark Beasy

The engine mounts are made of tubing with a flange welded to it. I have GOT to find them or a photo of them as they are not easy to describe. They mount to the chassis with single long bolts. Maybe MK IV J6 t70 build thread would show something. The big engine mount bolts are shown in this picture but the mounts are not present....
10949loladetails_012.jpg

10949lolat70Sl717_005.jpg

If I remember, I'll take some pics at work tomorrow. We've got a Mk11 and a couple of Mk111's in at the moment..

Darren.

Attachments

• 71 14 small.jpg
    71 14 small.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 537
The mounts you REALLY want to make sure are strong are where the bar mounts to the bulkhead and goes to the rear suspension. This original design was way too weak and subject to corrosion. If it lets go at speed you are doomed.

What Jim says is very true. This failed mount almost killed me at Road America in July.
I had outside pole position (to Bill Murray in a GT40 !) and after the first lap the car did not "feel" right. I was getting a little rear end steering. I very reluctantly pulled in to the pits on the second lap much to the disappointment of all involved (speed vision camera and everything mounted on my car), and we found this to be the culprit. I would have been lucky to have made another lap prior to total failure. This is a T70 MK IIIb mount with some obvious repairs. We made new stronger ones. This is the original design .

carpics_002_Small_.jpg

O.K. Remembered, so one pic of mount in-situ with block and other just of mount in chassis.
Johan. Seen a few 3b mounts like yours. Worst one had sheared the main tube completely. Our new ones, I think there is a pic in J Starkeys book, are much more substantial. Plus the radius rod joint locates in the vertical plane rather than Horizontal.

Regards, Darren

Attachments

• lh mount.jpg
    lh mount.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 473
  • rh mount.jpg
    rh mount.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 484
Thanks Guys,
The block seems to be sitting too low in our tub. These engine mounts confirm it. I'm estimating they are around 2" long. The rear bulkhead may need to go up a little or the upper gearbox mounts are drilled too low.

Regarding Mk - IV J6 Comment. Assume you are talking about the steel plate riveted to the Aluminium seat back. Couldn't agree more. The upper steel fabrication going from the rear bulkhead to the sills would help stiffen up the rear, but in torsion there is nothing. I am sure Eric was using the engine and gearbox as a semi stressed member when he designed it.

Regards
Mark Beasy

Thanks Guys,
The block seems to be sitting too low in our tub. These engine mounts confirm it. I'm estimating they are around 2" long. The rear bulkhead may need to go up a little or the upper gearbox mounts are drilled too low.

Regarding Mk - IV J6 Comment. Assume you are talking about the steel plate riveted to the Aluminium seat back. Couldn't agree more. The upper steel fabrication going from the rear bulkhead to the sills would help stiffen up the rear, but in torsion there is nothing. I am sure Eric was using the engine and gearbox as a semi stressed member when he designed it.

Regards
Mark Beasy

The problem is also mating alloy and steel. Over time this corrodes badly unless there is a VERY good boundary layer.

Best

Back