Tach removal

My yet to be completed build #2438 needs the tach to be adjusted for an 8 cylinder. Any tips on getting the tach pulled out enough to adjust the back switches? My installer is pulling his hair out.
Thanks

Hi: I think you should provide more details regarding make of vehicle and tachometer ... I had a similar problem a while ago (RCR40) and was wondering how in the world I should get access to the bracket screws when I found out the tach had just been stuck into its opening...

Hi Walter,
SPF 2438. It's a Smiths gauge setup for a 4 cylinder from the factory so the revs are double what they should indicate and adjustment is in the back. From what I've read the dash is assembled first then put into the car. We're not sure if he should go down through the defroster grill in the dash or from the frunk. It's just above the steering column so access is severely limited.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Shows where to find the switches.

Chances are by sliding in headfirst on your back under the dash your could get access.

Make sure you take in any tools and documents so you do not need to go in and out and a phone in case you get stuck!

Ian

Neil

Supporter

Chances are by sliding in headfirst on your back under the dash your could get access.

Make sure you take in any tools and documents so you do not need to go in and out and a phone in case you get stuck!

Ian
I advocate a removable instrument panel so it is easy to access the rear of gauges & switches. Yes, it is not "original GT40" but it makes things far easier..

Ian
yes, this should work, take along a lamp and a set of nose pliers-
I've spent a few happy times in this position - last time about 2 weeks ago when tracing the ignition wire to a loose socket ... use the steering column to pull yourself back out ;-)

you might even be able to reach in (after steering wheel removal) from a sitting position and grope for the knurled nuts securing the bracket (but disconnect the battery first!)
good luck - I'm sure you'll manage

Thank you guys.
I just spoke to Bob Wood at SAFIR. On his Mk 5 there are 6 screws just under the windshield that will allow the entire dash to come away. We shall see how far that gets us...

Back