They're getting younger!!

They\'re getting younger!!

I was working on the 40 today when I heard this young voice, "WOW"!! I looked up & saw this young lad sitting astride his bike. "scuse me mate" he said, "what's that car. "It's a replica GT40" I replied. "Yeah" he said "I thought it was, shame it ain't a real one"
Now, this lad couldn't have been more than 12 years old but he really did know his stuff. He asked if it was a GTD or Tornado, his enthusiasm was extraordinary.
I asked him if he wanted a closer look, well that just blew his mind. He sat inside, pressed all the pedals, switches & buttons. Just by the look on his face I knew this had made his day.
It just goes to show that it isn,t all us old gits who love the flowing body lines of the GT40!!!!
He said he's coming back with his mates tomorrow.

Re: They\'re getting younger!!

Cheers Dave,
Already thought of that. Aside from the alarm I've employed a few Orks so secure the garage. Apparently they are inbetween filming the next Lord of the Rings movie & Trisha!!

Thats very nice of you Paul.

Kids!

Well I'm pretty sure we'll just a bunch of over grown kids! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

excuse me, but i would just like to say a few words. My name is Tom, and i have just signed up to this forum. I am the only fan of the '40 that i no my age - 19 that is.

I have collected memorabilia of the GT40 since i was young, and fell in love with the car the first time i saw it.

You may like to know that i am already saving for my GTD40 - although i may not build it myself as i do not have the mechanical know how... Im going to Goodwood on the 23rd to watch the GT40 enthusiast club do a track day, and boy im lokin forward to it!

So just to comfort you, there are some young fans out there... and the GT40 replica fanbase will continue through me at least!!!

Tom,

"watch the GT40 enthusiast club do a track day"

that would be the GTD40 Car Club. See http://www.gtd40club.co.uk/TdayFlash.htm

Although the clubs invite each others' members to their events, this track day is in fact organised by Frank, acting for and appointed by the GTD club!

HTH

Charles

thatll be the one then.... still, thats not the main point of my reply, the main point was to underline the fact that there are still genuine young fans out there...

Welcome on board Tom

Enjoy Goodwood - you will probably find that the GT40 becomes a way of life - although it sounds as though it already is ...

Cheers

Rob

I have lost count of the times that I've had a teenager tell me that he has a GT40 just like this in his Playstation, but I was blown away when a pre-school child in a shopping car-park dragged his Dad over by the hand, eye's wide open, exclaiming at the top of his voice that "THATS A GT40!". His father meekly apologized (no apologies required) and explained that he loves all cars and knows every car in the magazines. The door open, he stood next to the car peering inside, the top of the sill just barely above his waist.

I’ve often said that this car has no uses other than to make people happy, but it never ceases to impress me how happy it makes little kids. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My favorite was when a little boy said "look Dad, it's a real Hot Wheel!". I'm also still surprized at how much old ladies love the car. I like to say "hey lets go for a ride" and they say "oh if I got in I couldn't get out" and I just say "yeah but you won't want to!"

My son is 22 months old and can not only say, but IDENTIFY a Ferarri, Porsche (Grandad has a GT3) and of course a GT. All that training is really paying off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
His Hotwheels collection is his favoritte thing in the world.

18-25 year old female GT40 fans are in abundance too. Although they have absolutely no clue as to what the car is, their interest deserves mention.
After all, they're just kids too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bill

Brian Magee

Supporter

While queueing for the Ferry in St Malo on the way back from the classic, four young lads were looking at mine and Chris Edwards cars. One young lad, about 10 years old proudly informed that my car was called a GT40 because it was 40" high. When asked how he knew that, his mates said "He knows everything about cars". Just goes to show there is a new generation of GT40 lovers waiting to take over from us.

Brian.

It's good to know they appreciate the finer things in life and not just hot hatches with dustbin sized exhausts.

One of my son's friends came out with a new word when he saw my 40 for the first time - walking into the garage, he came out with: "Wooarhh - B*st*rdizer!" ... I think he liked it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rob

yea, i am 17 and have loved the gt40 since i saw my first one at about the age of 10. if i had the money i would build one right now. this car is the most beautiful car i have ever seen.

I have a similar story to Brian's.
We were waiting in the car park at Portsmouth to get on the ferry to go out to Le Mans at about 6.45 in the morning.
A highly excited young lady with a camera ran up gesticulating wildly and said, 'It's the most beautiful car I've ever seen!' and proceeded to empty her camera at us.
Unfortunately my son was with me and it was very early in the morning, otherwise her encounter might have ended differently!
She was a passenger in a Morgan. . . . . .

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter

Tony,
they could have swapped places /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was in a car park chatting with a couple of adults, when three kids came along. One kid said 'has it got not NOS mister?' to which one of the adults replied, irritated by this non period suggestion 'listen sunshine, if you've got 5 litres, you don't need NOS!'.

regards Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter

Tony,
they could have swapped places I'm sure you son would have liked the Morgan;)

I was in a car park chatting with a couple of adults, when three kids came along. One kid said 'has it got not NOS mister?' to which one of the adults replied, irritated by this non period suggestion 'listen sunshine, if you've got 5 litres, you don't need NOS!'.

regards Dave

Back