Those with LHD and the Audi 01E...

What gear shift mechanism are you using? What donor car did it come from and how did you end up routing everything to get it to shift? Some sort of cable setup?

Thanks!

Hi Darrin,

In my left hand drive RF40 I have an Audi 016 with the shifter on the left hand sill.

Using a rod shifter that goes along the left sill and left hand side of the engine. Not sure about the 01E, but the 016 has the shifter on the left hand side. Pretty siimple linkage, but not really stiff enough currently to provide reliable fast shifts. It came this way from the builder that started the car and I left it alone in order to get the car finished and on the road. It is fine for street use, but would need work for track use. I plan on redoing it in the future to make it stiffer.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks Bill. Hoping to go center console for the shifter if possible. Would feel odd shifting with my left hand after all these years!

Hi Darrin,

In my left hand drive RF40 I have an Audi 016 with the shifter on the left hand sill.

Using a rod shifter that goes along the left sill and left hand side of the engine. Not sure about the 01E, but the 016 has the shifter on the left hand side. Pretty siimple linkage, but not really stiff enough currently to provide reliable fast shifts. It came this way from the builder that started the car and I left it alone in order to get the car finished and on the road. It is fine for street use, but would need work for track use. I plan on redoing it in the future to make it stiffer.

Regards,
Bill

Hi Darrin

I think centre console, cable shifter and 01E gearbox should definitely be doable. (I'm planning that, so I hope so!)

I've got ideas from this forum and going to use a Toyota Celica shifter as Bill Musarra has done here (picture in post #3).

For the gearbox end, there's a good picture here. That's for a 016 but will be a similar set up for the 01E. Bit of fabrication should get a simple / neat solution.

Awesome!

Thanks.

Hi Darrin

I think centre console, cable shifter and 01E gearbox should definitely be doable. (I'm planning that, so I hope so!)

I've got ideas from this forum and going to use a Toyota Celica shifter as Bill Musarra has done here (picture in post #3).

For the gearbox end, there's a good picture here. That's for a 016 but will be a similar set up for the 01E. Bit of fabrication should get a simple / neat solution.

Do you folks that are running the Toyota Celica shifter know what year you use?

The Celica didn't go to a 6 speed until 2000 and I thought I read the suggested shifter was from an 1989-1993 Celica. That would be for a five speed.

Do you folks that are running the Toyota Celica shifter know what year you use?

The Celica didn't go to a 6 speed until 2000 and I thought I read the suggested shifter was from an 1989-1993 Celica. That would be for a five speed.

Darrin,

Although not in a GT40, I used that Celica shifter (somewhat modified) for the 01E. It has an adaquate enough gate for a 6 speed application, IMO. The photo is how I configured the linkage at the transaxle.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 2,548
Darrin,

Although not in a GT40, I used that Celica shifter (somewhat modified) for the 01E. It has an adaquate enough gate for a 6 speed application, IMO. The photo is how I configured the linkage at the transaxle.

Andy

Thanks Andy! I really appreciate it. Think I may have Eric (local to me) make something up using that shifter.

Just to update in case anyone else goes this route...

Ended up with a Toyota Corolla shifter at Eric's request (had a Celica one in hand...about this same setup by the looks of it although the Celica is aluminum and the Corolla cast iron I believe).

Thanks Andy! I really appreciate it. Think I may have Eric (local to me) make something up using that shifter.

Back