Tornado TS40 - Best way to access centrally run coolant pipework?

Andrew

Supporter
Hi all,

I've bought a built TS40 and I'm working over a few areas, one of them being the horrendous heat soak I'm getting through the centre tunnel which houses the cooper coolant pipework to which I plan to lag

Underneath there is a cover strip running the partial length of the car which is riveted on, My question is - is the tunnel removable from the top side if I strip the carpet out? Or will I need to drill out all the rivets from the underside to gain access.

Many thanks!

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Andrew

Does your car have lowered floorpans? If it does you can drill the rivets out of the strip between the drops from below.

To get at the pipes from above you can remove the aluminium panels from the tunnel top at the rear and the front section is a GRP moulded cover that can be removed. You would need to remove all of the carpeting first.

The build manual does suggest wrapping the pipes to stop heat transfer with insulation and you can also fill the front GRP moulded section.

Thanks

Andy

Andrew

Supporter
Hi Andy, yes it has the lowered floor pans - it's John Cohens old car. I was the chap that bought the outer CV stub axle and bearing assemble from you a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for answering my query, much appreciated. So in a nutshell which will be the most straight forward method for full access?

The pipes certainly need more lagging if there is any, the metal handbrake surround that's fitted gets untouchable it's so hot

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Andrew

Sounds like there is no insulation in there. Loft insulation is quite good.

Doing it from underneath is awkward so I would do it from inside the car..

Remove the seats, floor mats, tunnel carpet, GRP front tunnel molding and then aluminium tunnel top panels from around the handbrake.

Thanks

Andy

Back