Track-oriented Ford Coyote Powered SLC Walk Around

Hi all,

Some of you know Allan is building me a Ford powered, track-oriented SLC. Today he posted up a walk-around video showing off some of the more custom and/or different from stock features in my car. I thought you might be interested, so here's a link:

https://youtu.be/eXykUoR16oo

If anyone has any questions about some of the choices I've made for this car, I'd be happy to discuss them here.

Very nice!

Would you mind doing a verbal "walk-around" of your motor, please? Seems like a fine match for the graziano and that injection system sounds interesting. Any internal mods or head-work that you can share? Redline would be of interest due the (V8) graz gearing.

Thanks in advance

Enjoyed both videos! In addition to Kris' questions about Coyote configuration, I would also be interested in ECU and intake tube.
Thank you.
Mike

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
:shocked: U-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e...!!!

I'm not at all jealous though. Nope. No way. Not at all. Huh-uh. Not one darned bit. Not me... :evil:

Very nice!

Would you mind doing a verbal "walk-around" of your motor, please? Seems like a fine match for the graziano and that injection system sounds interesting. Any internal mods or head-work that you can share? Redline would be of interest due the (V8) graz gearing.

Thanks in advance

The motor is a crate 5.0 liter 2014 motor from Ford Racing Products, called the "Aluminator NA". They actually stopped selling this late last year, I believe they will be coming out with another crate motor based on the new 2015 Coyote. It is basically the same as a stock Mustang motor, but with upgraded internals.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13113

Here are the key features:

• 5.0L (302 cubic inches)
  • 11.0:1 compression ratio (nominal)
  • Mahley® Hard Anodized forged pistons with Grafal® low friction coating
  • Manley® H-beam connecting rods with ARP® 2000 bolts
  • BOSS 302 connecting rod bearings
  • Forged steel crankshaft
  • Uses production Mustang GT aluminum block, M-6010-A50L4V,
  • Large rear sump oil pan with 8qt capacity features optimized oil drainback and windage tray to control oil and improve high-rpm performance
  • Tuned composite Mustang GT intake manifold with production drive by wire 80 mm throttle body
  • Four-valve-per-cylinder aluminum heads with roller-finger followers reduce friction.
  • Boss 302 Valve Springs, M-6513-M50BR
  • Mustang GT production camshafts
  • Intake: 12mm lift 260 degrees duration
  • Exhaust: 11mm lift 263 degrees duration
  • Ford Racing engine cover kit M-9680-M50
  • Includes manual transmission engine injector harness
  • Front cover is modified for Ford Racing Supercharger Kits
  • For applications not using a Ford Racing Supercharger Kit, stock timing cover must be installed.
  • Includes colder heat range zero (0) spark plugs, M-12405-M50
  • Includes Ford Racing oil filter, part no: M-6731-FL820
  • Includes billet steel gerotor oil pump M-6600-50CJ

To this we have obviously added a custom intake, custom exhaust headers, and a shallow oil pan from Canton. We have also added a remote oil filter console and oil cooler, and an Accusump to insure proper oiling in long high-G corners.

Otherwise the motor is stock. We are using the standard Ford Racing Products ECU / Control package.

Enjoyed both videos! In addition to Kris' questions about Coyote configuration, I would also be interested in ECU and intake tube.
Thank you.
Mike

The intake tube is custom, very similar to the ones that are made for LS versions of these cars. The ECU will need some custom tuning due to the differences from the stock Mustang intake parts -- Ford states this right up front in their installation instructions for this package. Luckily, I live in NC and we have some of the best engine tuners around down here in NASCAR country. :) I think we will be able to get significantly more horsepower out of the motor than stock with some custom tuning work and no other changes.

I thought about using the Boss or Cobra Jet intake manifolds, and I'm sure that they would help, but I wasn't sure if they would fit under the stock engine cover. So that's a possibility down the road but I just wanted to get things going. Similarly, upgrading the heads and changing cams could help extract a bunch more power. Future work, if the car needs more power. I am not sure that it will...

As far as the injection system, the Coyote uses a returnless fuel injection rail, I assume with a variable speed / pressure FI pump and regulator setup. The Ford Racing Products engine pack is set up to control a more typical return-style fuel system, with a regular high pressure FI pump and regulator. You could modify the stock fuel rails to have a return, but I elected to spend a couple hundred and get these rails that have all the fittings in them already. Also had an extra port where we added the mechanical fuel pressure gauge. Good diagnostic tool.

The fuel pressure regulator is an Aeromotive unit. The fuel pump is a Bosch 044. Plenty of other ones out there that will work but as my background is Porsche, this is the main pump we use for racing so I'm familiar with it.

The XS has the Cobra Jet intake and Boss 302 heads, and makes more power. Plan to rev to at least 7000, but I hope it makes power up to 7500. At least, that'll be my end goal if I start messing with heads, cams, etc. in the future.

Preston,
I believe that the 2015 based engine is Called Aluminator NAA. Although I will not decide for a few months, it is on the top of my list for my build. I believe that the Ford Racing people told me that the ECU fuel cut is 8100 RPM for the Aluminators. The production Boss 302 has a 7500 RPM redline with sintered rods. Sounds like it is good to go as high as the breathing will take it.
Mike

The motor out of the car:

fouQnw7.png

You can see just how wide it is compared to an LS. The pushrod design of those V8s is considerably more compact. The Coyote is a touch heavier too.

I don't mind. At all. :)

I am just not a GM guy. Plus, 7500 RPM? I was originally planning on a twin turbo Porsche motor, but the logistics / time required to make it work were just more than I wanted right now.

I've been a Porsche guy forever though, and originally though I was going to order a 962 from Fran. After much consideration, including the width (!!) of the car, I changed my mind and decided that instead of a replica, I'd just go with a more modern interpretation.

Back