Transaxle Dilemma

Some advice is to take out the triple plate clutch and put in a single plate. The box will eventually give up if its used on the track but will last a little bit longer. The ZFQ is not made for the track unfortunately.

There will be better options for a transaxle, but a lot more expensive than a ZFQ. If you want to track your GT40 then the ZFQ will break, and your heart. From what I’ve learned that the ZFQ is OK for the road but the design has inherent problems or limitations for track use. Looks like the expensive way is the only way to avoid disappointments.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Bart, as far as reducing power: I am building a new SBC and the target max torque is 500ft/lbs. When I discussed this with the engine builder as we were selecting parts he said more than likely I was going to be right a 550 or so HP and we could reduce that to my torque number as necessary on the engine dyno with a restrictor plate. This is normal practice for the current spec TRANSAM motors he supplies as they must meet a max HP number. He said he could reduce max power by as much as 10% with a restrictor and no changes to components except jetting and the distributor advance curve. So there you go.

Back