TWM air box

Was on the TWM site and came across the new offering by TWM. It is a Carbon Fiber air box for their F I setup. Looks pretty neat, and yes like all TWM stuff it ain't cheap. $5-600 Uses a K & N filter unit. Come to think about it, this could be made by some of us. HMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Bill

Attachments

• 351_with_airbox2.jpg
    351_with_airbox2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 671
  • 351_with_airbox1.jpg
    351_with_airbox1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 594
  • 351_with_airbox3.jpg
    351_with_airbox3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 575

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
chuck 1 said:
kind of negates one of the big reasons for having stacks

From a looks perspective :) But looks like a much better way to do an air filter for those that might need it then the individual stack filters. One that that is very nice is that is fits with TWM's internal fuel rails. Looks easy to get the lid of so you could go 'topless' when impressing the friends :)

They also have it in fiberglass to save some money too (or to pull a mold L0L). This is similar to some of the dirt track injector filters that I have been looking at, K&N makes a nice one (big), but also about $500, and a couple of sprint car mfgs make similar for hilborn injectors. I think they have been posted in some old threads.

I did make a set of filters for a 308 V8 Dino w/DCNF's out of 2 long hot dog shaped (4 cyls per filter) Piper Crooss filters and I think they still keep the feel of the stacks. Was not too hard to make but still came out about $300 bucks for the filters and blank base plates. It however does look better then it runs now :) :)

Sandy

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
If one were using a carburetor OR if we weren't priveleged enough to view the top side of the engine thru the rear window...

I'm most definitely with Chuck on this one, Bill. 'Tis only my 2 cents, but to have a TWM or Weber set up and then not be able to enjoy it visually as well just doesn't add up.

I recall a thread about an air filter box developed by one of our own some time back. It was a see-thru box made of lexan/plexiglass/perspex, with two filters mounted, one on each side of the box. While it looked to be a fair bit of work, the finished product was 'clearly' a winner.

Nonetheless, this is well worth considering for some applications - TWM wouldn't have developed it if they didn't think they had a market for it!

Regards,

T.

A vacuum formed one in persex or similar could be made to look better, cost much much less and let you show off. I personally wouldn't run any engine without a filter, regardless of what it is. It's just asking for trouble.
Also, the weave on the side looks blXXdy awful, and I would expect better from a commercial product.

I posted this just for the info. I would never hide the stacks as that is half rhe reason for having them in the first place. Now for racing I think they would be just the ticket. I have done mine as Bill Bayard has done with his. Cut some mesh,mount with some 1/2" vacumn tubing and some black caulk to hold in place. Add some filter material to the back side secured with some nylon thread(suture for me) and you have a good enough job to keep the large particles out. Just have to be careful about road trash being sucked up around the motor. I would think some rubber stock attached to the edge of the cutout for the stacks would minimize that. For my money the tea strainers look great.

Bill

Attachments

• Stainless1.jpg
    Stainless1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 419
I'm not a fan of doing that either. Whiklst they look nic, those mesh "filters" do a very good job of restricting air flow into the stacks. And they don't reallt filter anything anyways. It's the much finer stuff, such as dust and similar sized stuff that does for an engine. Yes, a stone will do a lot of obvious damage, but the chances of getting anything that size in there is very small. Over here a weekends dusty grass tarcking can give 5-6 thou of bore wear
and effectively trash a new engine. All for the sake of hiding a few trumpets, which even then you can still have on show if you make a nice airbox. It does help that I quite like the look of sevral large air filters, and am not a fan of the stand off you often get when using carbs.

Back