UN1 Transaxle Mating to Engine

Neville B

Supporter
Hello
Just trying to join the engine and gearbox, I have fitted the clutch and used the alignment tool

It was suggested that I should turn the output drive splines to rotate the input shaft so the splines will align, I tried this for about 15mins without success so I pulled the transaxle back and turned the output drive splines and they dont turn the input spline...so
1. if I turn the output drive splines should the input shaft rotate or is there a problem if it doesn't
2. if it doesn't\shouldn't rotate then I guess I should just rotate the engine with the crank shaft pulley till the splines align?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Nobber

Mike Pass

Supporter
Did you check that the driven plate slides freely on the gearbox shaft splines before fitting?
Cheers
Mike

Neville B

Supporter
Thanks for the replies, yes I tried to put it in gear no difference still didnt turn, and yes I tried the input shaft into the clutch plate all ok

I am concerned now that there could be something wrong if the input shaft should turn when I turn the output shafts...

Mike Pass

Supporter
Have you tried all the gears? You will need to turn both shafts in the same direction at the same time whilst it is in gear. Check that the shaft is turning with the box out of the car
Cheers
Mike

More likely that the usual problem is that in pushing the shaft into spigot bearing you have dislodged some of the needle rollers and this is preventing the shaft going fully in, this is quite a common thing

Neville B

Supporter
Sorted in gear and turn both outputs aligned the splines in it goes, thanks

Frank, thankfully I hadnt done that

Back