Vapor recovery, high pressure pump, fuel

Michael Fling

Supporter
A few questions with my build…

1. I am installing the Kurt Urban steam/vapor recovery system on my LS3. The two plugs at the front of the engine are open but the two at the rear are plugged. What is the best way to remove those plugs?

2. I am aware that I need to have my Bosch high pressure pump mounted below the surge tank (my surge tank is elevated 2"). Can the pump be mounted side ways or does it have to be vertical?

3. Is it recommended to use a Swaglock fitting from the regulator to the fuel rail?

1,There shouldn't be any "open" ports

2, It is not an issue to mount it either way...I personally mount them horizontally
3,Yes absolutely...and then an "an" fitting for the fuel line...

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Michael,
I previously had the same question and I superficially recall the method, as I never performed it. The LMP apparently does not allow enough clearance for the Kurt Urban system so I did not make the purchase.
As I recall, you remove the plugs by first drilling into them, and then use a tap and bolt to engage the plugs. Using a "platform" of a nut or something of a larger diameter than the plug you are removing, plus a washer on top, you simply screw your bolt into the tapped plug to lift it out.
Makes sense to me, but if in doubt, ask Kurt Urban.
Hope this helps,
David

Michael, I had the same issue where 2 of the holes were plugged. I used pretty much the same method David described and it worked perfectly. One minor point. The center of each plug is raised slightly, almost like a nipple, which makes it very difficult to align and maintain the drill on the center without the bit kicking off to the side. You can't use a punch to make a pilot hole either because you will knock the plug further into the hole. What I did was use a flathead screwdriver on an angle with a hammer to knock off the raised center and then drilled in. Worked well. After the plug was out I used a shop vac and a few q-tips to clean the small amount of residue that fell down into the hole while drilling.
Regards,
Ryan

Back