Vir & utcc

Team Superlite Cars won't be at the UTCC or the NASA races at VIR this coming weekend. The engine failure we had at Mid-Ohio last Sunday was more serious than we thought (bent rod, ventilated & cracked block- basically everything inside is comprehensively kaboomed), and we can't get a competitive engine in fast enough. We only had a few days turnaround, since we'd have to leave today to be there in time, and despite valiant efforts, we just couldn't get it done.

This is really a shame, as we really could have used another 3 days of track time to dial in the car, as we've proven that the basic Superlite Coupe package is fast and reliable. Now we just need to work on tuning the details like shock settings, springs and sway bar settings-- and prove out a reliable powerplant.

So out next race is at Mid-Ohio again, in the balmy days and nights of August. Today the track is supposed to see 95 degrees with a heat index of 108. I imagine August won't be much cooler. Should be hot days, hot nights, and hot lap times!

See you at the races at Mid-Ohio on August 13-14!

Wise decision! With two consecutive engine failures from the same (expensive too)
engine builder, an alternative source is in the works. Shame to have two track records and two pole positions on the first two outings with only 2.5 hours on the car and be cut off at the knees by an incompetent engine builder. Yes I did say that!

Thanks Mark! We, the SL-C bunch, really appreciate your efforts. Good for all of us.
Keep up the good work.

Keep trucking Team SLC! We are behind you all the way!

Hmmm . . . just had an idea.

What if Team SLC used the engine from Porsche's 911 GT3 RS 4.0?

porsche1.jpg&MaxW=630

Photo c and courtesy of Autoweek Magazine (New Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 revealed! - AutoWeek)

It has 500 horsepower, and 339 lb-ft of torque. Best of all, it is a street engine, so it is reliable.

2011-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4.0-engine-570x380.jpg

Photo c and courtiesy of techgatz.com (http://www.techgatz.com)

It even has a warranty. :thumbsup:

Yours reliably,

Bassanio et Portia :)

Will, what engine type are you running and why didn't you feel the other engine would be competitive? I ask as the times at mid Ohio were pretty phoenominal but my future build will likely be an ls376 so I was wondering whether I would be in the same ballpark (assuming of course Ryan and not me driving).

Wise decision! With two consecutive engine failures from the same (expensive too)
engine builder, an alternative source is in the works. Shame to have two track records and two pole positions on the first two outings with only 2.5 hours on the car and be cut off at the knees by an incompetent engine builder. Yes I did say that!

If someone came to me and asked me to build an 11 to 1 compression engine & run it on 93 octane I would declare incompetence & send him on his way, recipe for disaster. Add the flat battery & a computer probably going into shut down mode......

The engine is an off the shelf package from a reputable USA supplier (many others sell a similar spec package , also) that I chose because it was an understressed package...pretty good spec internals with good heads/intake.....the goal is to show how quickly the car can perform without resorting to a fire breathing 750hp monster, similar to some of our competition last week.
I know we have another 3-4 seconds in the car with more track development even with our 11.1 engine and stock exhaust manifolds..

I have seen many a Chevy LS2/3 series engines make more power with less....(just last week at Katech actually...failed engine not from Katech btw.)

Alternator failure is just bad luck...and was solved for the next race on Sunday.

The other engine I had in reserve was around 530hp , that engine is now being built to similar spec to the previous engine that failed last weekend, and will be on the dyno on Thursday.....
The UTCC is not an event where low HP and good handling would help bring any rewards....VIR is a HP track if you want to run at the sharp end.

An LS376 is a good street/track day package but its not a race engine as supplied in crate form

Last edited:
Fran thanks for the reply. Sounds like I will have to upgrade from or upgrade the ls376. Keep the updates coming. Sounds like you already have a winnng combo now just need to figure out the reliability issues.

Unfortunately its not the bits we make that have given us a hard time...but its OK, thats racing...we learn from every issue and have not had the same one twice..
I am very pleased with the development of the car so far and we all know there is a lot left.....

Watch out in 2012...wink...

.the goal is to show how quickly the car can perform without resorting to a fire breathing 750hp monster, similar to some of our competition last week.

But....but ..... but ..... what will the competition think if you show up with a n/a 1000hp street engine with 150,000+mile durability :drunk:

Throw on a proper exhaust

And a you-know-whose intake :lipsrsealed:

And the competition will be like :stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned:

Do eeeeeeeeet, you know you want to :D

Back