Webbers vs Holleys

I think most go with webers because of the vintage look. When it comes to performance, if you set them up right they run good as long as you have a mild cam (not a lot of duration). Clearly, a single big holley will still make more HP then webers. I have 44IDAs on my 40 and the look just kills......

Gary
I agree for the loook but 48 IDA's surpasses holley at any stage especially on torque see my posts on dyno result page (Holley vs webers)

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
I have 44IDAs on my 40 and the look just kills......

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Baby!
sP1030349.jpg

With regards to Webers, what the score with borewash etc.. that I hear about the old IDAs. Do they (IDA 44/48 or IDF) really work with light throttle in stop/start traffic? Can they really be used without drowning spark plugs, wear and tear etc..? Have they adapted the designs to work with road use as opposed to full-on raceing?

I am only regurgetating what I've heard so please excuse my ignorance as I am still reading up on them.

Interesting thread.

Has anyone tried the Edelbrock Pro Flo EFI System?

The kit comes complete with fuel pump, regulator, filters, wiring harness, sensers, pre-assembled manifold with 1000 CFM throtttle body and fuel injectors and fuel rail attached. You do not need a laptop because it comes with it's own hardware to run itself. You can tune it from the driver seat. It also comes with a eletronic distributor. It will support 7000 RPM on a 302, slightly less on a 347. They only cost about $ 2,700.00 for the whole system.

I spoke with one of Edlebrock tech guys. He told me that they have a different tech support line for this EFI system and I should call them if I needed more info. I did not ask about a 2 tank system, but I will call them back when I have more time.

I know,I know... no bling!
Just wondering if anyone has tried one.

I know this thread is a bit old but I can speak from experience on this one.

I was running 44mm idf's on my 347 and made 235rwkw's changed to 650dp and rpm air gap made 252rwkw's.

The webers gave it awsome torque and drivability at low revs, the 650dp feels makes it feel like a 4cyl in the torque dept.

I cant say enough about the torque of webers.......bloody awsome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sacrificing a live chicken as I write this post...

[ QUOTE ]
If the carbs are set up properly to provide the proper mixture then none. You've got an engine of X displacement and it needs Y fuel per unit of time to be properly fueled, there is no magic or voodoo there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, there is a difference, although having little experience with Webbers, I'm not going to flatly claim that either is always better.

The real issue is the actual Air/<u>vaporized</u> Fuel ratio present in the cylinders at the time of ignition. For a moment, lets assume that a theoretically “perfect” stoichiometric air/fuel ratio of 14.7 to 1 (on gasoline) is optimum for an engine under all conditions (this isn’t the case under all conditions, but bear with me here). Fuel that arrives in the cylinder as a liquid (either film or droplet) cannot participate in the combustion process until it is vaporized…usually by the heat of compression (which is too late to have any bearing on detonation), or even later by the heat released by combustion itself (which it too late to do much of anything other than raise exhaust temperatures. It’s a matter of hydrocarbon molecules having physical access to oxygen molecules; and hydrocarbon molecules beneath the surface of a droplet have no such access. So, to achieve an effective 14.7 to 1 A/F ratio in the vaporized charge, we’ve got to start out with something a bit richer than that at the carburetor in order to allow for the fuel that puddles on the manifold floor, gets centrifuged out of the air stream at all of the bends in the intake runner, falls out of suspension due to local pressure increases in the intake runner, etc. Just how much richer depends on how well…or not… we can keep each of the previously mentioned things from happening. Therefore, it stands to reason that a carburetor which atomizes a given amount of fuel into the greatest number of droplets of the smallest size – thereby minimizing the centrifuge effect while simultaneously providing a greater amount of droplet surface area from which those droplets can evaporate on their way to the cylinder – is the most desirable. The main circuit discharge droplet size of an “out of the box” Holley 750HP 4br. averages about 60 angstroms in diameter at 1.5” Hg, while our fully prepped Trans-Am pieces produce droplet sizes that average around 20 angstroms and can safely run a little over 1 full point leaner in A/F due to a greater percentage of it’s total fuel discharge arriving in the cylinder in a combustible state. This works out to 15-18 lbs of fuel per hour at 740 horsepower, or about 1.5 mpg at Elkhart Lake.

Back