Weber IDFs w/alumin(i)um valve covers

Seems my aluminum valve covers prevent my Webers from attaining WOT - the arm of the accelerator pump hits the cover before the butterflies aare fully open. Apparently this is a known problem by Inglese, who supplied my Webers, but the only slution they'll offer (and I didn't talk to them directly, but was told this) is to go to stock steel valve covers.

Has anyone come across this problem before, and does anyone have a solution that will let me keep the valve covers I have? Looks like maybe they could be milled, but I don't know right now how much extra travel they require... I should post a photoso people can see what I'm talking about, but I don't have a digital camera...

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I've seen phenolic spacers under each carb to raise them up enough to clear the cover.

Hmmm... Spacers might do the trick, but they do have the effect of increasing the runner length. Not sure what the effect of that would be...

I havent been doing engines for a good 10 years now, but as far as I remember longer runners should mean more low down torque and less high rpm HP. On short spacers like you are talking about I doubt it will be noticeable at all.
Ken

Back