Well....here goes all or nuthin.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
They do fit I think - I am pretty sure there is a SPF with a mod motor Ford in it on this forum or passing through my email some time ago. Not sure on the transaxle though.

A Texas speed shop (Dallas Performance) built a MKIII with a nasty sounding 1,200 h.p., TT SBF hooked to a Ricardo few years back. 'Needed mods to mount the Ricardo as I recall.
Owner of the car totaled it on his first(?) outing...'had something to do with the extra rear weight bias of the Ricardo + speed causing a handling problem. 'Car launched off the road backwards and that was that.
It sure was impressive looking / sounding.
'Stunning in fact.

Neil

Supporter
A Texas speed shop (Dallas Performance) built a MKIII with a nasty sounding 1,200 h.p., TT SBF hooked to a Ricardo few years back. 'Needed mods to mount the Ricardo as I recall.
Owner of the car totaled it on his first(?) outing...'had something to do with the extra rear weight bias of the Ricardo + speed causing a handling problem. 'Car launched off the road backwards and that was that.
It sure was impressive looking / sounding.
'Stunning in fact.

"Owner of the car totaled it on his first(?) outing...'had something to do with the extra rear weight bias of the Ricardo + speed causing a handling problem."

I don't suppose it could have had anything to do with stupidity, could it?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"Owner of the car totaled it on his first(?) outing...'had something to do with the extra rear weight bias of the Ricardo + speed causing a handling problem."

I don't suppose it could have had anything to do with stupidity, could it?

No comment... ;-)

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Since I'll end up building my own tanks I scanned the tank body panels. The net draped over the panel has targets for the laser scanner. You can also see them on the suspension parts.

Attachments

• 20230726_152752.jpg
    20230726_152752.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 20211111_102254.jpg
    20211111_102254.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 152

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hello Ryan, I bought this net from a German company Called Aesub. It was around 600 bucks. It does speed up the process but depending on the scan there
is a little more cleanup because of the net grid. Kind of a trade off.

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
These pictures show first the left side sill area where the tank resides. I ended up scanning on the car to account for any springback of the panel. In the end there wasn't much. Then I scanned the chassis. Put them together in a model. Determine by cross section what space there was and finally designed the basic tank. I was given dimensions that were close but it would have been a disaster had I built the tanks and found out the panel wouldn't fit over them.

Attachments

• TANK.JPG
    TANK.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DESIGNED.JPG
    DESIGNED.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 77
  • end view tank and scan.JPG
    end view tank and scan.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 79
Hello Pete,

I'm glad I came across this thread. I am in the process myself of starting the GT40 build using a 03 Cobra motor mated to an Audi 01e, I am changing out the cast block for an aluminum one to lose 70lbs and using a building the chassis myself ground up, so hopefully that aids in any/all modifications for fitment can be done on the go rather than after parts are already in place. I really like how yours has come along. I also after looking at other people's builds planned on using the ICEengine header blocks, from you using the 1-7/8's do you believe that 2" would even fit? I am considering that size to try and match the heads exhaust port size since they are 1.9xxx inches (oblong...)

Douglas

Back