What changes have been made to the SL-R?

After looking at the pictures of the SL-R from Carlisle (the yellow one) and the pictures of the SL-R on the RCR website (prototype???) I can see that there have been several changes. For example the supports behind the roll bars are now curved instead of the straight X-brace, seats are now fiberglass buckets. I am wondering what other changes have been made. I personally like the look of the prototype car (from the RCR site) MUCH more than any of the roadsters with body work on them (So far anyway). So Fran what other changes have been made cosmetically? I am sure that any mechanical or structural changes were made with good reason so I am not so concerned about that but if you want to elaborate on those too that would be excellent. Also what options are going to be available for the SL-R? I really do want an SL-R (and a Coupe, but thats going to require a promotion before I can make that happen) but I would want it to look much more like the prototype/no bodywork car than any of the more recent photos of the SL-R that have been posted on this forum.

Also where does the radiator mount? Does it come with mirrors or at least mounting tabs for mirrors? A windscreen was mentioned at one point, any progress on that? The more pics and information anyone (Fran I know you are busy) can provide the closer I get to actually buying one.

Trevor

Last edited:
Trevor an updated web site will be available in the next couple of days with better photos and updated spec list.

Some additional photos here: Atom Ariel, X Bow Forum, Superlite Roadster, KTM

Removable curved rear stays allow greater clearance and greater range of engine choices. Plus the curved stays were considered to suit the chassis style better. I certainly like them, they look great in the flesh. There is also a removable engine bay strut brace. The braces & stays remove for easy engine installation, removal & access.

You have a choice of modern F1 or grandprix body kit. The chassis comes with mounting tabs and hardware to attach body panels.

Mirrors with integrated turn signals are supplied in the standard kit. Mount onto the nose cone.

Radiators mount in the side pods at the rear. The kit comes supplied with twin aluminium radiators.

As far as I know the windscreen/wipers are still in progress.

Planned Options:
* Handbrake Assembly
* Data logger, Track GPS etc (DigiDash2 Pro+ upgrade)
* QA1 Double Adjustable Shocks - truly independent double adjustable with 24 compression & 24 rebound adjustments with evenly spaced valving changes.
* Approved Laminated Safety Glass Windscreen & Wiper package
* 4 point removable roll cage for track use
* 18” wheels

Let me know if there is anything else. I'll do my best to answer.

Wow Craig, thanks for the speedy reply! It sounds like I need to wait and see more pics before I pass judgment, but right now I am thinking no bodywork, mirrors mounted to the frame (uncoated chassis and weld on mounting tabs myself), and if I decide against the side pods figure out my own radiator setup, and I would make the wheel fenders a little more minimalist but that would be easy to do myself. Looking forward to the new updates to the website. I would love to see more build pics and I bet 18" wheels will look really good on an SL-R . I suspect that I am in the minority in terms of liking the car with no bodywork. Is there any sort of parking brake on the SL-R at this point? In California we have to have a working "mechanical" hand brake to be street leagal (as far as I know CA does not require a windshield or wipers).

T.

Trevor, I know where you are at, the SL-R looks fantastic naked.

The handbrake(parking brake) is an optional extra. Yes, it's a separate mechanical parking brake. It's just that some people, particluarly those interested in a track only SL-R, won't want handbrakes. So I think that's the reasoning for offering it as an option. It also keeps the purchase price as low as possible, which is one of Fran's goals with the SL-R.

The guys at RCR have been busy just trying to satisfy the existing orders. So have had little time to document and photograph everything. Something we are trying to correct as soon as possible.

I am a big fan of trying to keep the price low so I understand some of the changes that have been made. For instance using Suzuki mirrors with integrated turn-signals is a good cost effective solution (I personally don't care for them), and I know that many customers will be using them as track only cars so don't want a hand brake and offering it as an option keeps the cost down. When I registered my FFR cobra I had to have a mechanical hand brake, but soon after I installed a hydraulic valve in the rear brake line and that is now my hand brake (well really only a parking brake).I really would have liked it if Fran had designed the SL-R with inboard shocks like all the other exo cars available. Doing that would add a little complexity and cost but it would aesthetically look so much cooler and for guys who go to the track it would help to prevent damage to the shocks in the event of an accident.

One of the things I am trying to figure out is how much an SL-R is going to cost when its built the way I want it. I really like the seats in the prototype car (maybe $2K for both seats???), different mirrors, exhaust setup, intake setup, turn-signals and some kind of activation/self canceling setup, headlights, modifying or making my own fenders, figuring out the radiator setup, I would prefer the SPA gauge setup to the Digidash, different wheels, tires... the list goes on. I suppose the beauty of kit cars is that you can set it up how you want, but the more I think about how much an SL-C will cost to build the way I want it the more I think about building another FFR cobra. I was initially really excited by the prototype car but as I read/learn more I seem to be talking myself out of the SL-R. I saw Gabe's body renderings on the Exocars forum and if that body were available then I would be MUCH MORE INTERESTED!!!

Back