What Ford 302 do You recommend?

What 302 do You think are the best choice for my mid engine projekt? Year?
I Want engine that are not so expensive, easy/cheap to repair and with many nice accessories! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Calle

Most kit builders in the US purchase a complete new engine
from Ford/GM dealers, or they purchase "custom built"
engines from the many independent companies that sell these
via telephone or Internet. The price depends on how
much horsepower, and how many accessories you want.

302 engines supplied in Mustangs from 1987-2005 are the
most popular in the US since they have roller camshafts,
better cylinder heads than earlier 302 engines, and are
very very reliable.

However there are now many better aftermarket
heads/intake manifolds/etc for this engine, so
many builders just use the Ford 302 bottom end
and install all aftermarket parts for the top of the engine.

The price of US engines and parts varies a great
deal in Europe, so you will have to do some research on
whether it is more effective to purchase from sellers
in Europe or import an engine from the US.
I would start by asking your local Ford dealer for pricing
on the 302 assemblies Ford Performance offers.
Good luck.

MikeD

I suppose -87 and newer engine have fuelinjection?
What carb and manifold are suitable to begin with? Before changing camshaft etc for more horsepower. And before I have more money at the bank! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Calle

Calle,
Do Sweden have emission targets based on your of engine? If so, this may sway your decision. In the UK any block pre August 1, 1975 only has to have a visual smoke test.

Brett

[ QUOTE ]
Calle,
Do Sweden have emission targets based on your of engine? If so, this may sway your decision. In the UK any block pre August 1, 1975 only has to have a visual smoke test.

Brett

[/ QUOTE ]

Emission control in Sweden if You build car by yourself (replika etc):
- if You have cat + lambda the authoritys test and accept 100ppm HC.
- if You don't can (or don't wont to) use cat + lambda You can pay environment-fee, now about 750 EUR.
- in both cases You can use whatever engine You want. But not more 'horsepower' than 15kW/kg.

I think I'm going to pay environment-fee.

Calle

Calle

Yes..302 engines after 1984 were fuel injected...but that
doesn't affect the bottom half of the engine. Many people
pull off the fuel injection parts and bolt on
a carburetor and intake manifold. Very easy to do.
Emissions are higher with the carb setup,
but if you can get around that, it's simple and reliable.

The most popular choices in the US are Holley carbs and Edelbrock intake manifolds. Edelbrock also sells "kits" with cylinder heads/camshafts/etc
that they publish dynotest results on. See their website.
The Edelbrock carburetor (previously owned by Carter)
is a good carb...but not as popular as the Holley.

MikeD

As far as the 302 in the mustang, 1985 was the last year for the carburetor. In 1986 it went to a speed density fuel injection set up, and in 1989 it went to a mass air flow sensor set up.

Thanks a lot for all 302-info!
Want to know more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Are all Ford 302 the same? I thinking about bolt pattern for starter, flywheel, cylinderheads, headers, waterpump, intake manifold etc.

Calle

You can get in a real mess by mixing parts on a 302. Pre 1980 engines have a different balance factor than the later 5.0 engine. Water pumps lower hose mount can exit either side. Roller engines require a hardened distributor gear if you decide to change that item. There were some changes in the number of intake Manifold bolts. The firing order is different for the 5.0 as opposed to the 302. F /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifind out what year engine you have and buy parts accordingly. My engine has a late model Explorer roller block with a 1969 Boss 302 Steel crank and a few other modifications. A lot can be done to make a good engine if you pick the right parts. I have been working on the small block Ford engine since I bought my 1965 Mustang and have seen all the changes and then some.

Vic

So newer engine than 1979 is to prefer?
Why sometime call the engine 302, sometime 5.0? Does it have different bore and stroke?
What years did Ford make the 302/5.0?
Does 302/5.0 like revs? I'm thinking about bore and stroke.

Calle

The 5.0 liter is the name Ford gave the hi-performance 302
it introduced in 1982. All 302/5.0 engines are the same
block/bore/stroke except for the rare 1969/1970 Boss 302
which you will probably never find.

The bolt pattern for all the major parts including the transmission is the same for almost all 302/5.0 engines.
All newer 302 engines use the same 50 oz harmonic
balancer. The major changes were in 1985 (?) when
roller camshaft was introduced, and 1987 when the newer
high performance cylinder heads were added.

NOTE ! Ford also made low performance 5.0 engines during this time, which use different roller cams, cylinder heads,
intake manifolds, and a different firing order.
The intake manifolds of high performance 5.0 engines
generally have a plate riveted on top that say 5.0 HO
(high output).

The 1987 and newer 5.0 high performance engines
were used mostly in Mustangs, and many were also
sold by dealers as spares. They rev pretty well,
limited mostly by the valve springs and stock
cylinder heaads. A good running 5.0 should do
6,000 rpm without problem. If you want to rev higher,
you will need different heads, rockers, and camshaft.

There are several good books available on the 5.0.
The major difference when used in a GT40 is whether
the engine will be computer controlled fuel injection,
or non-computer with carburetor.

MikeD

Mike, 302 Boss engines aren't hard to find. I have 2 out in my shop, sitting next to a 427 Medium riser if I ever need it.

Vic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

From High Performance Ford Engine Parts Interchange by George Reid:
[ QUOTE ]
In your search for a 302 block, we suggest the use of the high nickel content blocks produced from mid-1967 through the early 1970s. On alternative, though not always easy to find, are the 302 blocks cast in Mexico.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance by Issac Martin:
[ QUOTE ]
The consensus is that blocks cast up to 1974 (D4 casting prefix) tend to have greater material thickness. After 1974, Ford engineers were reducing material to take weight out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Older blocks can be converted to use roller cams, although there are some issues.

I'm pretty sure that the differences in water pump inlet are strictly between the 289 and 302 - all 302s should be driver's side. All 302s should also have 6-bolt bellhousing.

Also, no one has mentioned yet the other manufacturers of compatible blocks (both cast iron and aluminum are available) such as Dart. Thes emay be better candidates for a high-revving engine, as I believe they offer 4-bolt mains. All 302s (with the exception of the Boss 302) have 2-bolt mains.

[ QUOTE ]

NOTE ! Ford also made low performance 5.0 engines during this time, which use different roller cams, cylinder heads,
intake manifolds, and a different firing order.
The intake manifolds of high performance 5.0 engines
generally have a plate riveted on top that say 5.0 HO
(high output).

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the LoPo 5.0L are were put into light trucks, Fseries and Broncos. All the truck 5.0s are non roller cam till 95, the intakes are also differnt, the tb is a dual port front mount, Really starves cyls 1 & 5 for air due to P.P.D.
Heads are the same PN as the rest of the 5.0 line.
Firing order is the 1-5....

Jim

Back