What steering columns are you all using?

I would like to find a column that is a little more finished than what came with my RCR GT40 however I do not want it so modern it looks out of place (late model with signals, headlights and wiper stalks). I have been looking at everything from the Race Columns like Woodward Steering as well as the big guys like Ididit, Flaming River etc.

I was thinking a simple column with a paintable housing, self canceling turn signals and ability to retain a quick release would be optimal. Ididit makes a nice column for a reasonable price, but I am calculating the column itself should be 23"-25" to allow for another 3"-4"of quick release and adapter. The problem I am seeing is you go from 16" up to 30" or the price jumps way up for custom length units.

Does anyone else have options they have used successfully?

Alternatively I can get a "race"column that has a finished tube around the steering shaft but no self cancelling turn signals that can be cut to length. I was thinking that route and do the following;
1. Buttons on the steering wheel with either a removable cord or one of the RF options to trigger a signal box that cancels the turn signals on a timer.
2. An external switch on the column or dash with the signal box.

I just don't want to be that guy driving 3 miles down the road with the signal flashing.

Anyone do something different?
Thanks
Dennis

Plz inquiring minds want to know...I'm in the same boat. Would like tilt, internal turn mechanism and a way to do quick release steering wheel.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Using Southern GT with bronze bushes, collapsible, quick release steering wheel Motolita teardrops flat 14”

Back