Wheel Alignment Info Needed....

Kim Haun

Supporter
Hello! I want to put my RCR GT40 Widebody on an alignment rack. I did all of my alignments at home with stringlines and laser levels and am pretty confident things are close to where they need to be. A double check of my work with a real alignment rack to give me a print out would give me a sense of how well I did and how to improve it, if needed.The alignment shop I use has a newer Hunter Hawkeye rack...state of the art lasers and all that...really nice The problem is the operator has to start somewhere and needs to input something into the machine, make and model wise, to get him started and close to where things need to be. There is no 1965 Ford GT40 in his data base. Has anyone run into this problem and sorted it out? Any suggestions on a make and model to start with? Does it really matter what they choose since I'm not having them do any adjustments? The operator hasn't had any experience with this type of situation.

Thanks!

Kim

Joel K

Supporter
Kim, not sure if this will help. In the RCR SLC manual it states the following:

If you take the car to a regular alignment shop, most of them will want to know what car should be used to input to their alignment computer. The SL-C won’t be there, of course, but starting with a 2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 will get the machine close. You can then get the alignment technician to follow your settings, as they are generally within the wide range acceptable for the Z06. It will be much easier to align the car with both the tail open or off, and the front clip removed. Plan ahead of time, before you get to the alignment shop how you will provide access to the front and rear suspension for the tech.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Kim, I would ask him to use specs for something like the new Vet, a mid engine car ment for street use, handling with proper tire ware.

Kim Haun

Supporter
Thanks, guys. Good suggestions. I was able to contact a representative from Hunter the manufacturer of the alignment rack and he helped the operator create a custom profile using the specs from RCR. I’m doing the alignment tomorrow morning and will post how it goes.

Kim Haun

Supporter
So that turned out easier than expected. The Hunter rep installed a custom profile with the specs from RCR's GT40 manual and the operator gave me a printout of how far off I was. I have to say, with string lines and a laser level, I got pretty close. A little more fine tuning should get me spot on. Thanks to George and Bill for their replies...it gave me more understanding about how the alignment machine references specs.

Back