Wheel Dollies - Recomendations

Neville B

Supporter
Hello any recommendations for wheel dollies in the UK the ones at Machine Mart and SGS dont seem to accommodate 12 in tyres, thank you

Howard Jones

Supporter
Make some

Attachments

• HPIM0614.jpg
    HPIM0614.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 304

Howard Jones

Supporter
Inexpensive casters will do. I think mine are rated at 300 pounds each and they have lasted for 20 years sofar. Remember there are four per corner so pretty much anything will work.

Try and get at least 4 inch wheels and make your wood thick so you can lay under the car when it is on its wheels up on the roll arounds. You will find you crawl under the car all the time to fetch stuff you drop, check on a tight nut or bolt, even drain the oil, etc. Go for about 8 or more inches total height. This will give you about a foot clearance under the lowest point on the bottom of the car. That's enough to do most minor stuff and not too high to reach into the engine room from the top.

Here's an example of some wheels on Amazon that would work. Google 4,5 or even 6 inch light-duty casters. Don't get a locking caster, you don't need them, and get solid tires not air-filled.

A few pieces of 1/2- 1 inch thick pieces of plywood glued together are plenty strong for the tables. Put some stops on the ends to prevent a roll-off.

You'll use these for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Making your own will work great if you use quality casters per Howard's suggestion. However, I don't agree that you should skip the locks on the casters. High-quality casters on a smooth floor will roll very easily. In my state, garage floors must have a certain pitch towards the door and with high-quality casters the car will roll out of the garage. Even if your floor is dead flat, you don't what the car moving when you're installing a transaxle, sanding, whatever.

I second Gojaks. They are great for moving the car around. There is no need to use your floor jack and the car's CG is low -- helpful if you're rolling the car out of the garage and you need to negotiate some transitions etc. They're low profile, so I just roll them under a bottom shelf when not in use.

I use 10" tall wheel cribs from Race Ramps when I want to work on the car with the suspension loaded. When I'm working on the car, I don't have any concern that it will roll. In addition, they're very light and easy to toss on top of a cabinet when not in use.

Reactions: ext

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for that Scott. I hadn’t seen those before. When I checked online, they had 239 five star reviews out of 249. And 9 four star reviews. Will be adding those to my shop soon.

Regards Brian

Attachments

• 992FB24D-E03D-4037-AE65-11BFDD1DA3E1.png
    992FB24D-E03D-4037-AE65-11BFDD1DA3E1.png
    264.4 KB · Views: 228
Back