Wheel Studs RF

Jim Dewar

Supporter
I need 5 wheel studs (so you guessed what happened) for the rear hub of an RF. I can't find replacements without knowing the car application. If anyone has a local solution (US) it would be appreciated.

Jim Dewar

Supporter
The answer is !! Corvette extended length Advance Auto #98501.1. These are 12x54 mm with thread pitch 1.5 and a knurl diameter of .504". I have replaced them and the fit is perfect. Should I use thread lock this time???

Ron Earp

Admin
No fair, I just read it and knew the answer! Well, I didn't know the thread and pitch but had written down in a notebook Corvette studs.

I do use thread locker on my replacement studs.

Ron

Jim
Ron is absolutely on the money with the threadlocker. I have a friend who recently bought a 1970 chevelle, completely restored, and setup as a drag car tubbed, 9" ford rear , etc. etc..
Whoever installed the studs (screw in type) decided to tack weld the head to the back of the axle flange to keep them from backing out. Well, first time at the local drag strip and all 5 studs on one side sheared off at the starting line....probably from the brittle spot created from welding. I would be willing to bet that he would have had a better day with Locktite.
Cheers
Phil

Back