When it rains it...!!! NF Fairlane v8 Alternator & C11 power steering help.

Hi all,
I had a fun week. Made redundant a few weeks ago, got told Thursday i owe 8k to the Tax department and while driving to Handorf for a meal my alternator crapped itself.

I have a 95 NF Ford Fairlane v8. I removed the alternator and was quoted $269 to replace the Regulator, Rectifier and Stator Assy or $369 for a complete overhaul. I'm more than likely going with the overhaul as i called around and the motorcraft item is no longer in production and the Chinese copies im told can be prone with bad bearings etc Even so the Chinese one i was told might fit was still dearer. Anyone know a better alternative?

After my $200 dollar tow home the power steering sounds like a major bearing failure in the pump. Car was on a flat bed but i did have to turn the wheels from 1 lock to the other while it was stationary.
I initially thought it could be an air bubble in the line caused by turning the wheels without the engine running but its damn loud.
I called ford and they quoted $1600 lol for a pump, the next best option is 368-468 for a change over unit. There does not appear to be a rebuild kit, only gasket kit for the c11?

Ideas for a cheaper alternative?

As it could be an air bubble, fingers crossed. I think i will flush the current pump and rack and then bleed the lines. What's the best method to do this and what fluid is ok to use.
I have been told that ATF is fine with a C11 motorcraft pump (common on mustangs and f150's etc im told?). I assume i would disconnect the return line from the pump and block the return on the pump so it does not suck air.
Jack up the car and support it via car stands, stick the return line into a catch container. Should i idle the engine and rotate the steering wheel while topping up the reservoir until the fluid coming out looks clean? Than reconnect the the return line to the pump while trying to retain as much fluid in it as possible?

Some have said i should remove the ignition/fuel relay and just let the engine spin over via the starter while i do this?

On the upside i don't owe the TAX guys anything as they typed the year wrong on their group certificate. still looking for work though :-(

Jonesy, try the wrecking yards etc. Have you tried running the motor without the belt just to be sure it is the pump, could be a WP bearing . I cant understand why you didnt hear it before the Alt failure.

Jonesy, try the wrecking yards etc. Have you tried running the motor without the belt just to be sure it is the pump, could be a WP bearing . I cant understand why you didnt hear it before the Alt failure.

Yeah called a few and it seems these are not the most common parts let alone is SA (for those in other countries i live in a less populated state with less white collar employment therefore less luxary cars like mine were sold). Anyhow i found some which were in the hundreds still, and on cars with 300k. Mine has officially 101'000kms not bad for '95 model :)
Yes it is strange. I diagnosed it as the alternator but called RAA as i wanted to confirm the issue and use my free tow points. I guess its part of their procedure to check everything as he looked at water, oil, fluids etc before even running a multimeter of the batter. While engine was running he removed cap for power steer and topped up a tad with ATF. It was a bit whiny before and by adding fluid it didnt get any quieter or louder. I have seen numerous posts about these being a whiny pump.
When i arived home i stated it to drive it into the shed and instantly i herd it. No longer a little whine but bloody loud scratching/bearing-ish sound, thus why i think the turning from lock to lock caused an air bubble and the vanes are running dry?
I'll just bite the bullet and get the rebuilt Alternator so i can flush the lines and work from there. I did some research and it seems no one sells (in Australia that im aware of) new or repro c11 pumps and rebuild kits, only gasket/o-ring kits. However the cheapest exchange pump is from Sprint Auto parts who are a dealer of Active Power Steering - The Leader In Quality Remanufactured Steering Gears around $370. I'm still waiting on a quote from Australian Power Steering, they say they sell them but when i called a distributor they couldn't find it.

I initially thought water pump as the car struggled to drive through the hills and when pushed to 100kmh it over heated and i had to back of to 80kmh for remainder of drive. I stuck my "high tech audible noise detection device" aka long handled screw driver against various things and listened at the handle and it seemed to be clearly the PS pump, although the water pump was a bit scratchy sounding so could probably be replaced when im working again.

Should i flush it while engines idling or from crank speed (cranking over from starter)?

Last edited:
Anyhow, finally got my alternator on. Runs nice and it is evident how crook the other one was.

Still need to add a better body earth, for those who have not looked under the bonnet of these things the actual body earth is extremely small. Im not sure what gage wire but about 3/4 the thickness of a biro/pencil etc at very most. When you turn on lights or anything in these cars you will see all your gauges drop a few mm lol........

Bleed the PS lines and reconnected. Now she is ice and quiet, if you call the normal C11 whine quiet anyhow. I have not taken it for a decent run yet but it seems it was air in the power steering lines that caused the pump to run dry and sound terrible! Seems turning your wheels from lock to lock without moving the car or engine running pumps all the oil out of the rack.
jonesy -- fingers crossed it stays quiet after a nice drive.

When the suction (low pressure) hoses get old they become porous and will suck air through the hose.
Replace the low pressure hoses if it keeps getting air in the system.

If you need a pump.
Turner Enterprises in Brookvale Sydney will have new pumps cheap.
Joe will send anywhere in OZ. 02 99050574

Jim

When the suction (low pressure) hoses get old they become porous and will suck air through the hose.
Replace the low pressure hoses if it keeps getting air in the system.

If you need a pump.
Turner Enterprises in Brookvale Sydney will have new pumps cheap.
Joe will send anywhere in OZ. 02 99050574

Jim

Thanks mate!
jonesy

Back